what do people wear to the afters of weddings these days

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrs celtickitten Posts: 877
hi girls, going to the afters of a wedding to-morrow night and really cannot figure out what myself and my friedns should be wearing. We have not been to the afters of a wedding in years TBH and would like to not have to go out and buy something especially for it. Would it be alright to wear a nice dress or does looking like one of the main wedding guests count as a serious no no? Thanks a mil, Mrs c
Easy Tiger Posts: 2676
I'd dress up nice for it. I can't stand it when I see after's guests turning up in jeans or looking like they're just going to the pub for a night out
starz Posts: 110
Ya agree with easytiger, Jeans would be a definate no. I would probably wear a skirt and strappy top or nice trousers with a halter neck or corset type top thingy, some of the dresses can be a bit too "weddingy" IMO..
gerbil Posts: 3528
I agree with easytiger - dress up nicely. You don;t need a hat or hairpiece, but you should otherwise be dressed as if you were at the full wedding. Any nice outfit in other words!
Walking Bump Posts: 2095
Agree with teh girls. Jeans a definite no no. How about a dressy pair of trousers and a nice top. Nothing to OTT.
Loopy Loo Posts: 1774
I quite honestly have no recollection of what any of our afters guests turned up in!!! :o0 It wouldn't have bothered me if they were wearing jeans, once they weren't completely scruffy!
TokenMale Posts: 6845
If you were a bloke I'd be saying suit if you're going to the whole day, but trousers and shirt (with jacket preferred) if going to the afters. I don't think it's necessary to dress as you would for the full day.
sorcha25 Posts: 532
guess it depends on how well u know the couple. i'd dress smart casual ifkwim. not as dressy as full day.
newkid30 Posts: 2233
I would wear a dress to the afters or else a nice skirt and top.
mrs celtickitten Posts: 877
Thanks girls and guy for the help. Only logging on now to get your feedback and you have put my mind at ease. Mrs C