What do you buy

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Jeidi Posts: 3128
...a 90 year old for his birthday. My grandad is 90 in a few days and I've no idea what to get him. Also my two sisters birthdays on the same day... one is 25 and the other is 45. I'm looking for someting small to get them from my son who's 8 months.. all ideas welcome.
Drummerswife Posts: 3497
It all depends on what he is like - is he mobile, still have good eyesight etc. Is he a drinker - if so a nice personalised bottle of whatever he drinks. If he is confined to a band but still cognitive - some books, puzzle books or music to listen to. Not really sure bout the sisters stuff but if you wanna look at websites like firebox or Iwantoneofthose they have some cool funky gadgets.
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
I would get the sisters jammies/slippers/candles that sort of stuff. Is your grandad into Gardening? I always get my granda a voucher for Woodies and he does be delighted. Oh god imagine having to share your birthday with your sister!! I would not be impressed :o0
Thanks must look up that gagdet site... slippers might do aswell though! He doesnt drink, and at 90 he wouldnt be able to do much in the way of gardening. Yeah imagine shering your birthday... there's exacty 20 years between them.. I used to tell my younger sis that my older sis was really her mother. God I tormented her!
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
[quote="Jeidi":1wmkqxve]Thanks must look up that gagdet site... slippers might do aswell though! He doesnt drink, and at 90 he wouldnt be able to do much in the way of gardening. Yeah imagine shering your birthday... there's exacty 20 years between them.. I used to tell my younger sis that my older sis was really her mother. God I tormented her![/quote:1wmkqxve] :o0 :o0 :o0 Thats so funny I have a brother thats 12 years younger than me and hubbie used to say to me all the time "I know hes really your son" :o0 :o0 feckin eejit :o0 Maybe just get him some sweets or some thing? Or slippers? Im mad about slippers today :o0
jellywellies Posts: 2268
now dont take it the wrong way - but a nice cane walking stick (dpending if he wouldnt be insulted by it!!) Hankerchiefs, pullover. But yeh slippers are always good!!
He has his prize possesion walking stick. Hankerchiefs might be a good one, and a bag of those lindt chocs. He loves those. Got my sis slipper and a scarf in dunnes from DS. I'll give her money from me My older sis (is coming home from america) wants a stash of king crisps, angel delight, radox bath stuff etc - all the stuff she cant get ove there!
IndigoMoon Posts: 2842
Could you get a nice big piece of card & put different cut out of the pics of it of different family members & then get it framed
NAUGHTYDAISY Posts: 1734
Oh god have no idea, trying to remember what we bought my granddad for this 80th and just cannot remember at all. What I do remember is that we brought over a bottle of Jack Daniels for the party. As we sat down in the kitchen when we arrived we put it on the table. Granddad got his hands on it straight away and said "I'll take that" and took it straight to his room. We were laughing. So yes drink is prob a good idea. My granddad passed away at about 84 and I miss he so much. He was great craic with a bit of Jack Daniels in him and told some great stories. Whenever we arrived down in Kerry we always went straight to the pub as he would more than likely be there with his red baseball cap and budweiser braces X
Nadie Posts: 1111
My granny (83) loves her portable DVD player, which she watches all her box sets on in bed - maybe there are some old shows or films he likes that you can get a box set of? And if he has no DVD player, you can get them for less than €50 these days - maybe a few of ye could go together on it. Does he smoke a pipe? Maybe a swanky shiny new pipe? Sisters - PJ section of Penneys - you can't go wrong with a fleece nightdress, PJs or housecoat, especially as the snuggly sofa nights are on the way.