What do you consider when picking BM colours?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MrsBig10 Posts: 2074
Hi WOLs I've been thinking of BM dress colours & not sure what to go for...but was in my local church, where wedding will be, on Sunday & copped that the wall behind the altar is painted a burgundy & it AIN'T a subtle one!!!! Now I thought...what do you consider when choosing BM colours? 1.do you just go on ahead with the colours you want & face clashing 2. choose something that'll blends? Was thinking purple or coral until I got this notion into my head...All opinions grateful - thanks!!!
petersgirl Posts: 1568
I wouldn't even consider thinking about the colour of the church to be honest. Pick a colour you like and one that you think will suit the colouring of your BM's. You won't have a huge amount of photos even in the church. The only other thing i would consider would be the time of year e.g. summer, winter :wv
Skittlespink Posts: 406
There is no way you will ever be able to match everything. I went for pink knowing full well church altar is painted red so will clash. So I woudnt worry about it!! I would go would whatever is your favourite colour or a colour that you really like. Would also think of time of year for example prob woudnt go for black in Summer. Maybe think about bridesmaids hair colour/complections as some colours dont suit certain people. Keep in mind styles and colours that will match your dress too!
Thanks girls!!! I'm not a "matchy matchy" person who's like "omg it has to be the right shade of this that or the other"...but I was just thinking what's the norm?? I think that I'll stick to what i was thinking off. Peter's girl - it's a June wedding both the BMs I've in mind, are dark haired
Scruff1 Posts: 3139
Be open minded when deciding on your colour. I had a couple of colours I thought I'd go for but ended up going for something completely different! Try on dresses to see what the colours look like on your bms, not just the to see the style of dress on them! I was dead against my colour until one of the girls tried on the colour and I LOVED it!!!
Thanks Scruff1!!! The ONLY colour I [u:2qtm7y33]don't[/u:2qtm7y33] want is red...both FSIL had it at their weddings...I'm sure people would be thinking "Jez do they not have an imagintation between them" LOL :innocent: :yelrotflmaosmilie:
Daisywall Posts: 577
I wouldnt consider the colour of the church, and anyway, there will be lots of photos after in Black and white in the church, so they'll look fine. And it's only one part of the whole thing. Dont be worrying :wv
Jawl Posts: 8881
I had decided on a coral colour, saw the dresses I wanted on Dresselicious, and bought them knowing they'd suit the colour of all 3 BMs. But the church/venue decor wouldn't even enter my head. Most hotels would be neutral enough anyway, and you are only in the church an hour at most. You'll never be able to match everything so don't even give yourself headaches trying.
stickwoman Posts: 2394
The deciding factor for me was which looked best on the BMs and which colour they were happy with. They tried on a light pink (my favourite on the hanger), a purple and a bright fuschia pink (which was my least favourite). When they tried them on the bright pink won by a mile. My one piece of advice would be to have an open mind.
Scruff1 Posts: 3139
[quote="AngelButterfly":ymx918ox]The deciding factor for me was which looked best on the BMs and which colour they were happy with. They tried on a light pink (my favourite on the hanger), a purple and a bright fuschia pink (which was my least favourite). When they tried them on the bright pink won by a mile. My one piece of advice would be to have an open mind.[/quote:ymx918ox] +1, this is exactly what happened to me, I ended up going for the same colour!!!!!