What do you think about no seating plan?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Ficidy Posts: 1753
I'm totally in two minds. Wedding not until June 09 but meeting wedding co-ordinator in venue in a couple of weeks and want to give her an idea of what way we want the tables. We're thinking of having one big table (maybe that bends a little at each end if you know what I mean) as we're only having 60 guests and neither of us like the idea of the round tables at all.... the reason we want to have the big table is so everyone can mix and see eachother and had been planning on not having a seating plan for the table as thought it'd be nice to let people sit where they want. Now, I'm having mixed feelings about it.... What do you think? Would it better to give them placenames and seat them where we want or let them sit where they want to reflect the laid-back theme of the wedding? Just don't want anyone feeling left out if they don't get to sit beside who they want. I know my wedding is ages away..... just wondering what ye think.
laceylegs Posts: 307
Personally I hate it when there is no place names, it turns into a free for all, everyone trying to keep places for their partner / friend / child etc. I'd imagine it would be quite hard to mix with people across a table big enough to fit 60 guests, maybe I'm being dense, but I don't understand how that would even work ?
Ficidy Posts: 1753
Hi Laceylegs - I agree - that's what I was worried about - that it would turn into a free-for-all! Hmm more food for thought. I guess the layout for the 60 people is hard to describe. The co-ordinator already said (when we asked her briefly) that she'd be able to do it so will have to see for sure when we go and see her again.
Twirler Posts: 1644
I also hate a lack of placenames so I'd go with having them.
laceylegs Posts: 307
Yeah, I think the one big table thing is a lovely idea, I'd be really interested to know how it was done.
she Posts: 3298
[quote="Ficidy":nh40qbwc]I'm totally in two minds. Wedding not until June 09 but meeting wedding co-ordinator in venue in a couple of weeks and want to give her an idea of what way we want the tables. We're thinking of having one big table (maybe that bends a little at each end if you know what I mean) as we're only having 60 guests and neither of us like the idea of the round tables at all.... the reason we want to have the big table is so everyone can mix and see eachother and had been planning on not having a seating plan for the table as thought it'd be nice to let people sit where they want. Now, I'm having mixed feelings about it.... What do you think? Would it better to give them placenames and seat them where we want or let them sit where they want to reflect the laid-back theme of the wedding? Just don't want anyone feeling left out if they don't get to sit beside who they want. I know my wedding is ages away..... just wondering what ye think.[/quote:nh40qbwc] I think this sounds great........Were defo having table names and a seating plan but were having over 100 guests. I think it's doable if theres 60 to just let them do itv themselves but why not reserve a family section so you can have who you want beside you.....
bangel Posts: 2285
I know our wedding is ages away, but I've already decided we're not having place names. Everyone gets on great, and we're going to sit at a circular table in the middle of the room, with a circle of tables around us if that makes sense. I would agree on reserving some seats for the people you want close to you though. Who knows, I may change my mind yet.
wol-r-us Posts: 273
We're not getting married for a while but I will most definitely be having a seating plan. Everyone gets on great but as a guest at a wedding I always prefer a seating plan and I think the majority of people do.
shoegals Posts: 1640
Went to a wedding with 40 people but they had a seating plan and place names, it is the best idea I think, its less stress on the guests and I think it guarantees that you have everyone you want close beside you. Their seating arrangements were all round tables with them in the middle and then everyone around it was great!
hunky_dorey Posts: 2714
It's not fair on your guests if you have no seating plan - please reconsider!