what do you think?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

glowgal Posts: 949
Hi, So I'm almost 21 weeks pregnant and was feeling quite a bit of movement of the last week or two, I didn't really feel anything the last 2 days so was a bit worried and rang holles street. They said come into the Fetal assesment unit this evening, is this just a standard thing they say in this sitauation? I was googling and it seems pretty common to not feel anything on some days at this stage in the pregnancy, Im so confused, I don't want to have to go into hospital unnessecarily, what would you do?
mysteriousmise Posts: 1783
If I was a bit worried, I'd go in. Better to have a quick scan and know things are ok for certain than be worrying about it.
theoracle Posts: 7664
I have never heard of FA at 21 weeks it is usually done at much later stages, I am not sure that the equipment is even sensitive enough at 21 weeks, but a gp could listen in with a doppler and be able to confirm babs is ok. FA is when they strap on the belts with sensors to monitor contractions and baby heart beat and you stay strapped on for aprox half hour and press a button every time you think you feel a movement. I had it on dd1 when I was something like 37 weeks pg. If you go to the hospital they might scan you instead though, so if you do feel uneasy give them a visit.
The FA unit in Holles Street provides a variety of ultrasound services. I've been there several times - three times regarding a MC and once about 5 weeks ago. I am having my "big" scan there next week. FA in Holles Street is not restricted to belts with sensors etc - it's the full suite of scanner/ultrasounds and dopplers. If they suggest you go in, then I'd go in.
Thanks, going to go this evening, I suppose better to put mind at rest than to be worrying about it. *)
CrappityCrap Posts: 1468
Never knew this was waht fetal assessment was? I have an appointment in CUMH in FA to check on baby and how its growing.... presumed it was a scan I was getting?? Best of luck glowgal later, I had quiet days every so often too, can be worrying all right but I found having a fizzy drink and lying down usually kick started things!
BEst of luck Glowgal. Hope it all goes well for you this evening.
theoracle Posts: 7664
I was talking about fetal assessment - the procedure, but if they were referring to a department then that makes much more sense.
Daff Posts: 11644
Yeh HS generally err on the side of caution and will usually tell you to go in no matter what it is you ring about. think they're covering themselves and also it could just be the one time they say don't and something happens. Try not too worry. I reluctantly ring them now cause not so easy to drop everything and head in with DD in tow :o0 Best go in if they said too. Usually if movement decreased I drink somehting cold and sugary and take to the bed for 20 mins and that usually starts LO off on their dancing antics.
Hey, Just wanted to let you know all was fine, they did a little scan and everything was good, I guess it was just being quiet the last few days. The doctor who did the scan was so nice, he said its better to come in if you are worried, sometimes you feel like you are taking up their time when you are being anxious but they didn't make me feel like that at all. I was in and out in around an hour so not too bad for waiting around.