what does 'Ceph' mean on the Obstetric Card?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

2006wedding Posts: 965
Had doc appointment this morning, after checking my abdomen he thinks the baby is already lying head down, though he says this may change. He put in 'Ceph' under Presentation on my card so just wondering what this means? Anyone else at head down stage?
fancypants Posts: 453
it is short for cephalic - meaning head down!
Elliecat Posts: 2725
Hey, ceph is how they describe it when the baby is head down, it's short for cephalic, which means it;s head is near the cervix (apparently - google is great!!). My bean was head down at your stage and has been ever since, don't think it means an awful lot to be honest until you're a bit later on.
2006wedding Posts: 965
thanks girls, had a look in google there also and found it out (shoulda checked google b4 posting! lol!)
brideeee Posts: 1490
My bubs was Ceph too at last apt- but to be honest I think bubs always has been :lvs xx b
charli Posts: 5994
yeah mine too i dont think they even check for it before about 28 weeks because before that there is soo much room as appointments go on now they will mark things like "ceph but high/free" and then say after 32 weeks/34 weeks if its your first might be "ceph 5/5, 4/5, 3/5, 2/5, 1/5, 0/5" depending on how engaged the head is if your 2nd the head doesnt often engage until labour starts
fancypants Posts: 453
Hi found this on baby center its handy to know what it all means Length of pregnancy 28+3 (28 weeks and three days pregnant) Blood pressure 120/70 (the lower figure should not be higher than 90) Urine P G O (whether your urine sample contains Protein, Glucose or anything else -- Other) N A D (no abnormalities detected) Height of uterus (This is measured from the pubic hair line to the top of your `bump'; the number of centimetres corresponds to the number of weeks you have been pregnant) Presenting part or lie Cephalic (or ceph) -- head-down Br -- bottom down or breech LOA -- the back of your baby's head is on your left-hand side and towards the front of your tummy ROA -- the back of your baby's head is on your right-hand side and towards the front of your tummy LOP -- the back of your baby's head is on your left-hand side and towards the back of your tummy ROP -- the back of your baby's head is on your right-hand side and towards the back of your tummy) Heartbeat or activity Your midwife may write the number of beats per minutes or: FHH: fetal heart heard FHNH: fetal heart not heard (which probably means your baby was just lying in an awkward position!) FMF: fetal movements felt FMNF: fetal movements not felt