What foods do you wish you had the nerve to try?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lux Posts: 6270
I am meeting OH for lunch in one of our fave sushi places. I loooooove sushi, but when I told work people they were all, yuck, I'd never eat that. Took me a long time to try sushi but I have been missing out, it is YUM. So, what foods would you like to give a go?
Jawl Posts: 8881
Sushi actually, because it's so good for anybody on a diet :o0 Few months ago, Mr. Jawl was making us breaded haddock and chips. And I don't know how, but he managed to NOT cook the fish, so when I bit into it it was still cold and raw on the inside, and the feeling was horrible :o0
Anahita Posts: 1161
Oh loads, I wouldn't class myself as picky eater (I love eating!) But there are loads of stuff I'm afraid to eat. Prawns, sushi, venison, veal, most seafood dishes except when the fish is covered in batter coz I hate looking at the silvery skin! I'll be back with more...
zoesmama Posts: 2774
I actually would like to try Sushi - have never had it. Did not eat fish for years and years but my Greek DH thinks that is sacrilege so have been trying cooked fish for a few years now and manage to like some particularly white fish but have not had the courage to try raw. Would also like to try Ostrich or Crocodile - there is an Australian place that does Kangaroo and Crocodile but have no wish to try Kangaroo. DH had Wild Boar a few years ago when we were out for dinner but have never had that either.
Jane Smith Posts: 3158
Oysters. I just can't get passed the slimey texture. I'm sure there are other foods but can't think of any right now. I go to France quite a lot with work and have been introduced to some lovely foods (and wine!) that I probably wouldn't have tried out otherwise.
Penny Hill Posts: 1898
i would also like to try sushi and oysters. Muscles too!! Also tuna and sardines - i have never tasted them, but the look of them just puts me right off!
JustBecause Posts: 3242
I used to be a really fussy eater but got a job in a really good restaurant aged 21 and had to try everything on the menu. I had lots of different types of fish seafood including raw oysters and different types of meat including steak tartar. It was a brilliant introduction to different types of food and really encouraged me to be more adventurous. I still don't eat certain things (dried fruit, aubergines...) but that's to do with taste and texture. Not a massive sushi fan, don't like the texture but and tried it. In Morrocco we did a banquet evening and were given a selection of dishes to try. They didn't tell us about the lambs brain until after I'd tasted it! :eek The pidgeon was lovely though.
galwaygirl2010 Posts: 2447
I think the only foods Id be hesitant about would be the insect variety - thinking of Im a Celebrity Get me out of here types!!. Generally, being such a foodie, I will give anything a go - especially on holidays, I love trying the local food. Love sushi and have also had mussels (lovely), frogs legs, snails, tripe, various aussies meats etc. My sister is the total opposite and is a nightmare on holidays - will usually only eat pizza or pasta saying " I wont like it" and Im thinking - you havent even tried it yet!
madhairday Posts: 1116
[quote="Jane Smith":39zthudh]Oysters. I just can't get passed the slimey texture. I'm sure there are other foods but can't think of any right now. I go to France quite a lot with work and have been introduced to some lovely foods (and wine!) that I probably wouldn't have tried out otherwise.[/quote:39zthudh] have tried them and did not like them salt watery snot. will try most things.
jamjars Posts: 1721
I like most things and would try anything within reason... love mussels and nearly all fish, adore sushi but I hate oysters... actually just taste like seawater with a bit of seaweed thrown in there for good measure!! Afraid of olives!