Menu

What formula are you going to use??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Hellothere2010 Posts: 2358
Another topic that may cause a row but seriously I would like to know if you use formula which do you intend to use?? SMA Aptimil Cow & Gate Im going to try to breast feed but will definitely not beat myself up if I cant so I would like to have this decision made. Im just wondering what is the most popular Thanks
Pinkly Posts: 1414
Also will be trying breastfeeding myself but if I change over to Formula we'll be using Aptamil as it's the closest of all of them to breastmilk, thats once the baby doesn't have any allergy to dairy.
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
It can be hard to decide what formula to go with before babs arrives. DD needed formula top ups at each feed and the hospital started giving her Aptimal but it was too thick for her and she kept throwing up, so I changed her to sma (for no other reason than it's what I was given) and it suited her better.
baby-crazy - how/where did you hear its closest to breast milk? I hope you dont mind me asking. I have no preference for any of them but this sounds good
lovebug997 Posts: 4034
I'm not going to breastfeed but not sure which formula will suit baby! Don't think you can decide on a definite one until you see how baby reacts to it! I've heard lots of stories about how one formula didn't suit so they switched to a different one! I've got one tin of the Farley's formula at home to try! Am going to try it because it's the cheapest! If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out! They all have the same stuff in them anyway!
MrsJayKay Posts: 3025
If breastfeeding doesn't work out for me I'll be using Aptimil. I also heard that it was the closest to breast milk of any of the formulas (i can't remember where I heard that but I think it may have been through a friend who heard it from their midwife).
MrsK07 Posts: 454
I think I read somewhere on this forum that Aptimel has eggs in it. Not sure if thats accurate or not. I am going to use SMA to start off with and we'll see how we get on with that.
Pinkly Posts: 1414
[quote:bcc8rhc0]baby-crazy - how/where did you hear its closest to breast milk?[/quote:bcc8rhc0] A parent (I worked in childcare) had her little fella in my room & he was on this, she was a midwive & told me it's the closest to breastmilk. I wouldn't bother buying any before baby arrives, maybe do some research on them & then if you decide to go with formula get your DH/mam to pick some up for you for when you get home from hospital. As some of the girls have said you wont know until baby arrives, alot of babies have allergies to some ingredients in the formula's or might have a reflux problem so will need a specific formula. I'm not going to buy any before baby is here as hoping breastfeeding will work but if not I'll try the Aptamil then.
thanks girls x Id be lost without this site. Will hold off on the formula - I think Im trying to be too organised
Barbara Ann Posts: 1032
I've decided not to B/F so i will probably give Aptimel a try. A freind of mine recomended Aptimel and also said it was closest to Breast Milk. :wv