What nappy cream for newborn?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MrsMuffin Posts: 43
Hey, Just putting finishing touches to my hospital bag (34 wks so about time!) but not too sure about creams etc for baby's nappy - wondering if anyone can help? Sudocream seems seriously strong to me - what do you all use for newborns? Is vaseline better? The nappy rash creams and powders, like caldesene and bepanthan, do you use them from birth to prevent nappy rash or just if the baby gets a rash? Someone mentioned aqueous cream before - is that like vaseline? Sorry for all the questions - just a tad clueless on this! Thanks .. :wv
breeze Posts: 1175
I never used any cremes on DS as it was not recommended at all. I just used warm water and coton wool. To this day i never have had to use sudocreme just a small bit of vaseline. I have packed cotton wool this time too. HTH
Daff Posts: 11644
they don't recommend anything. I used to just use a little silcocks base if needed. I used to have a bowl of cooled boiled water and some silcocks base in it and dip teh cotton wool into that. 11 months on and never had nappy rash or anythinhg like that
funkyfish Posts: 7626
midwives recommemded vaseline... i moved to burts bees diaper cream at 4 weeks it is fab. i alternate between the 2 now.
Toots12 Posts: 894
Vaseline, with cotton wool and warm water to clean. Vaseline is a great barrier and should be applied once their bum is thoroughly dry (it's the damp bum closed into a nappy that can cause nappy rash). Another advantage is that a large tub of vaseline is so cheap and lasts for months!!!
Thanks a million for your replies .. will get some vaseline and silcock's base so just to be prepared but good to know that water and cotton wool can do the job too! Thanks again, :wv
summersurprise Posts: 1276
Thought Id share this one with you: My sister swears by. . . . . egg white dabbed on with cotton wool (just the white, liquid not whipped) . . . however this is not for everyday use but at the first sign of a red bum appearing, it gets rid of straight away, an old wives tale but it works! :o)ll
crazylady10 Posts: 539
I use bephantan on my babes bottom since the day he was born and always used the sensitive wipes by pampers. He has never had a red bum yet. But my sister swears by egg white too for nappy rashes. Never needed to use it. Always found bephantan to be be brilliant. Great barrier.
momof3 Posts: 510
neither of my two needed cream. its literally a little wipe with damp cotton wool. If u really want to take some i like Bepanthem
Thanks again for the replies - am fascinated by the egg white tip, would definitely give it a go if LO got nappy rash, something so natural has to be good :wv