What next with this wonderful country of ours?????

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Lucy Posts: 81
DH was on the way to work this morning and came across a different kind of checkpoint consisting of the garda, social welfare and customs and excise????? The garda were there for the usual checks. He was quizzed by social welfare if he was claiming benefits and working at the same time!! And customs were checking cars/vans etc for diesel??? What is this country coming to at all??? :eek :eek :eek
zoesmama Posts: 2774
Social Welfare ???? are you kidding ???
curliwurli Posts: 3369
what part of the country was that, somewhere near the border?
Mrs Summer Posts: 5040
[quote="curly wurly":d6eh59ge]what part of the country was that, somewhere near the border?[/quote:d6eh59ge] Thats exactly what I thought when I read it, its crazy though isnt it :ooh :eek
Fonthill Road Clondalkin!!!!
ohsotired Posts: 7071
Garda and Customs & Excise I can understand - they're doing huge crack downs lately! But Social Welfare is bizzare - even if someone was claiming benefits and working at the same time they're hardly going to admit it!!! :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0
mrs bmw Posts: 6447
Yeah it would have been near the border cos they are clamping down big time on the people who claim benefits in the south, I have seen customs checks in Ashbourne a couple of times pulling over lorrys
If if they didnt admit that they were working and claiming benefits they still took the reg number of his car!!!! He asked them if it was within the Irish Constitution to be quizzed in such a way the guy wasnt able to respond so he had to consult the garda who told him that they could ask them anything they want!!!!!
[quote="Lucy":2aj3wfff]Fonthill Road Clondalkin!!!![/quote:2aj3wfff] That's mad!!! I live beside here - have seen Garda checks before but never customs & excise or social welfare!! :o0
[quote="Lucy":3sa408wf]If if they didnt admit that they were working and claiming benefits they still took the reg number of his car!!!! He asked them if it was within the Irish Constitution to be quizzed in such a way the guy wasnt able to respond so he had to consult the garda who told him that they could ask them anything they want!!!!![/quote:3sa408wf] That is really strange! Any chance there was a hidden camera crew somewhere in the background??? :o0