What oils to use for perineal massage & does it really work

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

volvic35 Posts: 1118
Hello Ladies, Just wondering does perineal massage really help, the thoughts of being cut or tearing them there is scary. One thing Im not looking forward to. Any advice would be grateful. Also what oils can you use.
PrincessLea Posts: 436
We were told in ante natal class to use almond oil or, god, can't remember wot else! If there's anyone who's a bit more experienced on the subject, would you care to share, wot would be a good, ahem, position?? Bit embarrassing, but made a half hearted atempt after my shower the other day and found that it's really quite hard to get to! Especially as I've got pgp and can't really put my foot up on the toilet seat as was recomended... :-8
marriedLife Posts: 1881
:thnk
PrincessLea Posts: 436
Thanks for that marriedlife! longer arms would be useful! I've had to go to work in uggs a good few times as DH has been out hte door before i've got him to help me on with my proper shoes! Oh the joys... :o0
volvic35 Posts: 1118
Longer arms would be good alright. So Im looking for Almond Oil might pop into the chemist on my way home, so I dont start these till 34week mark, might try it out during the week though I reckon Ill need the practice.
Allure Posts: 220
yeah It's almond oil your meant to use and as for Position - we where advised in my antenatal class to have your DH do it. as it'll really hard to do especially with a bump in the way. Not sure if this works as this is my first baby. But I think it's worth a try.
papillon Posts: 1305
I got stuff from Weleda esp for perineal massage.. An odd gift to be sure! :o0
GentleBirth Posts: 750
You can use plain ole olive oil too ! Tracy
milis Posts: 7998
I used olive oil, no tears/cuts/stitches, so I'd definately recommend it. As for positions, I found the bath comfiest at the end. Wouldn't have been on for getting DH to do it... actually, he would have refused anyway :-8
Ducky Posts: 2506
I tried a few times and failed, but sitting on loo worked best. When pushing with DD after long labour, she came down quite fast and the midwife asked if I had done the massge and tutted when I said I tried but gave up. She asked me to hold off crowning for as long as I could and spent the next 20 mins pulling and stretching at me (thank God some epi hadn't worn off) basically, she did it for me while I roared at her that I needed to push! Boy was I glad she did. 9lb 1oz and no stitches. She told me afterwards that con had tipped her off that it was big baby and she was coming so fast in the end that I would have been destroyed if she hadn't stretched me... love that woman Do it if you can girls!!