What physical work is considered NOT SAFE?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

motherhubbard Posts: 3037
Hi All, Sparklybabe I am hoping you might be able to shed some light on this for us :-8 But all advise/info is welcome. I work in a job that [i:3jmtrmwv]can be [/i:3jmtrmwv]very physical: lifting, pushing, pulling, stretching, over reaching etc. So what is safe and what's not? Or is the rule "if you did it before it's ok to continue" fool proof? As you can see from my tickers I already have a little boy at home but I cannot remember where I drew the line at work with what I did and didn't do when I was pregnant with him :duh: I would hate to do anything that would cause any harm/injury to baby or me but I don't want to be seen as being lazy or using my pregnancy as an excuse. My mother says(which seems more like old wives tales).. Absolutely no over-reaching or stretching?? Doctor says.. absolutley no heavy lifting.. bend down to my DS and only lift for urgent reasons?? Midwife says..(when I was pregnant with my DS).. limit hoovering as twisting and dragging not good?? Anybody know for sure? By the way I haven't told work yet but want to know what is ok before I do and whether or not these things are safe or not Thanks girls :thnk
theoracle Posts: 7664
It would depend really on the specifics of your job of what is involved and how often. I would definitely exclude any heavy lifting or any dragging that includes use of excessive physical force. You should go through your job requirements together with your employer and conclude a risk assessment to exclude any physical risks. I think it would be sensible to exclude any extreme activities, certainly any ladder climbing, and over-reaching, but within reason (use common sense). I would say no to reaching for a box full of files on a top shelve but ok to getting a book from a top shelve IYKWIM. Citizens Info have a good overview od what should happen in pregnancy: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... afety_work And this is the guide from the Health and Safety Authority which shows which hazards your employer has to review: http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Archived_Material ... y_at_Work/
Thanks Oracle, those links are really useful. there is no way we did a risk assessment for my last pregnancy. I was chatting to one of the girls who I have told here at work and she thinks all the things I am unsure about doing this time round I didn't do on the last pregnancy. I work in IT which can involve lifting pc's and monitors: Monitors are mostly flat screen so not an issue but the pc's are still quite big and heavy. Also because of cabling/networking I would be shuffling under desks on my back, over reaching etc to re-do cabling etc.. It is this side of things that isn't so straight forward but when I think about it I really don't think it would be ok. I'll just swap around with the guys for more desk work.. I don't know how I am going to find the courage/words to say it to my boss though... Really think since my last pregnancy and maternity leave that he regrets hiring a girl for a typical guy job.
theoracle Posts: 7664
You are perfectly within your rights to request a risk assessment, even if you did not have one last time round. I wouldn't think you should be crawling under desks etc either. Usually there should be a health and safety officer in the company if it is a large company and there should be policies in place. Do you have HR in your company? You could talk to them about what policies are in place and doing a RA. I was only working in the office no physical work involved and I had a RA automatically, they made sure I had a good office chair, gave me a footstool and optimised the position of my PC screen! Believe me you are not being fussy!
[quote="The Oracle (formerly hu101)":2mcpo88i] I was only working in the office no physical work involved and I had a RA automatically, they made sure I had a good office chair, gave me a footstool and optimised the position of my PC screen! Believe me you are not being fussy![/quote:2mcpo88i] :eek It is a big company and I have seen lots of pregnant women in lots of different departments and I have never seen this kind of treatment. It would be so nice to think that my manager would take it into his own hands to do this rather then me asking for it and appearing fussy (well fussy in the eyes of a bunch of men :duh: ) Thanks again Oracle.. you always live up to your name :xox
redwifey Posts: 2932
Hey Mrs Mum I work in a large company and when I told my boss I was pregnant last time, I first had to go to the occupational nurse and then had to fill up a risk assessment. They checked my screen and all that too. Can't remember what the girl in IT did when she was pregnant last year but I'm sure she wasn't lifting PCs etc... Best of luck.
Martiespride Posts: 997
getting out of bed in the morning and going to work is not safe :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie:
redwifey Posts: 2932
I def agree MP
DennyRashers Posts: 43
Hi Mrs Mum, I work in the IT department of a large multi national organisation. The moment I told my manager that I was expecting, he had someone from the admin department do a risk assessment of my working area, the type of work I carried out etc. My job was similar to yours in that I was expected to moved PCs, printers, crawl under desks to patch network points that kind of thing. That all changed... I now have a new big comfy chair with a back support and foot rest. My monitor is lifted to eye level. I no longer do any manual work and am no longer required to drive up to the branches that we support. I'm not allowed to work alone (ie I cant be the last in the office) and even asked if I'd like the water cooler brought closer to my desk! OK I thought that was overkill, but it was nice of the guy to ask... I'm the only girl in the department with 8 other lads and I hafta say, if I ever need a hand with anything, they're all more than happy to assist me. They know that this is an exceptional circumstance and that I'm not taking the pee... I'm under no illusion that I'll be fully expected to resume my usual work duties when I get back from ML.. Lucky me! :o0 You should be offered this but if you're not, defo ask for a full assessment of your working environment and day to day duties.
Girls I am in shock.. this RA has never been done in our company :eek Dennyrashers(I love the name ;o) ) thanks a million for the reply. The jobs are the exact same and like that the guys I work with are great and I know as soon as I can tell them the news it won't be an issue.. except for some back handed lazy jokes ;o) It is great to see how your company handled it and that after a RA the changes you were advised to make. At least I know I am not being fussy or awkward. I remember on my last pregnancy I was asked to get 8 pc's ready for one of our remote offices and then load them to the van when they were ready and Yes he was serious O:| I said nothing, got the pc's ready and asked one of the guys to load them and then he went "Oh yeah"! I think I will just say what I can't do and if he questions it or makes me feel anyway uncomfortable about it then I will ask for the RA. Thanks a million girls :wv