What's considered to be Bad Luck??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ruby09 Posts: 157
Is putting the cot up before the baby arrives? My mother is stresing me out saying I shoud leave it in someone elses house until it's needed..
Mrs2babridesoon Posts: 3319
My friend hubby wouldn't allow her buy or bring stuff into the house either so I had to buy a few bits and keep it at my house! But closer to the time they did have all the baby room finished, which I think is very practical.
red_rubies Posts: 2424
I don't believe any of these so called 'superstitions'. It's madness! A friend of mine had everything in her house well before babs was born & the baby is perfectly fine. I was in a graveyard a few Sundays ago & I was told by MIL that I shouldn't have gone in while pregnant. Apparently, you shouldn't take into a graveyard somrthing that can't walk out - so I presume that means babies in pushchairs & people in wheelchairs too?? It's ridiculous. How can putting up a cot or your travel system (another thing we have done that was also frowned upon) affect the health & safety of your unborn child?? We had an anomoly scan last weekend & everything looks fine so far. I'm happy to know we haven't damaged our babs!! Sorry for the rant - it's not directed at you OP, I just think it's insensitive of people to say these things to you like you have purposely put your unborn baby at risk!!
chigli Posts: 266
I think the main reason is that if people buy too much too soon and sometime bad happens, it makes it very hard packing that stuff up. My sister had a late miscarriage at 20 weeks. She had only bought a couple of outfits though, but found it very hard having finding the clothes again & then just gave them away to a charity shop. When I got pg last year, I wouldn't let myself buy anything at least 20 weeks in case something happened. Probably saved a fortune too as I would probably have gone mad buying loads of things I wouldn't even need.
theoracle Posts: 7664
I agree with red rubies. Sure I am on babs no 3 and we have had loads of baby stuff around since day 1, are you supposed to pack it all up and deliver to somebody elses house or what according to the prophecies!?
Mrs2babridesoon Posts: 3319
Looking back over my post, I really wasn't clear in my opinion I don't agree either with those old wife tales, I'm very pratical and there needs to be a lot of organising done before baby arrives, leaving it to when your on your way home form hospital isn't an option really. I think those supersititions come for a different era, when we as a nation didn't have the medical resourse we now have available to us.
red_rubies Posts: 2424
[quote="chigli":bmwwscp3]I think the main reason is that if people buy too much too soon and sometime bad happens, it makes it very hard packing that stuff up. My sister had a late miscarriage at 20 weeks. She had only bought a couple of outfits though, but found it very hard having finding the clothes again & then just gave them away to a charity shop. When I got pg last year, I wouldn't let myself buy anything at least 20 weeks in case something happened. Probably saved a fortune too as I would probably have gone mad buying loads of things I wouldn't even need.[/quote:bmwwscp3] I can understand this completely! It's the superstitions that annoy me! We didn't buy anything until I was about 24/25 weeks gone. We still don't have much (our travel system really) & the cot is upstairs waiting to be assembled. Will prob do it this weekend - bad luck or not!
Daff Posts: 11644
I think it's all old wives tales. My Mum passed away two years ago, and there's no way i'm not going to visit her grave for the next 8 months! I saw the cot i want today, 20% off, so it took everything i had not to but it, but don't worry, I'm going to wait til about the 16 week mark before we start buying things. Although I am starting to organise the house. Have to start clearing all the boxes out of the guest room etc to make room for the nursery - but I've also been meaning to do this since we moved in 18 months ago!
i want one Posts: 2893
i dont believe in them superstitions, thats why im here at this hr bidding on a crib on ebay and i only 7 weeks pg! things need to be ready for before babys due in case u go a bit earlier than expected and have nothing done. But each person to their own, if u feel more comfortable not putting up the cot just yet leave it off. just make sure u have someone reliable who will do it properly before you arrive home with your babs. :xox
Diamondz Posts: 2208
My friends have been warning me since i found out I was pg that i shouldn't bring a cot or pram into the house until after the birth.. don't know if this is a very common thing in the north because a lot of the shops that sell these items will hold them for you for collection once babs arrives?? Anyway, I wasn't planning on getting a cot before the birth as my best friend is loaning me two moses baskets that I hope to use for the first couple of months then maybe get my cot in the Jan sales. I asked my mum and she said it was a common superstition but no more than that.. although she did say if I felt funny about it just to buy what i needed and store it in her house.... think its a load of codswallop imao...