What's DPO?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Wannabamama Posts: 481
Excuse my ignorance just getting trying to get my head around everything. When people say 10DPO or 16 DPO, what are they referring to? Thanks
clucky Posts: 26471
Days Post Ovulation Thats what i always take it to mean anyway
Wannabamama Posts: 481
Thanks Clucky Thought it was something like that but could not work out exactly.
Sphynx Posts: 6795
yep - it's the number of days after you think you've ovulated. It's hard to pinpoint exactly when you ovulate but charting, taking temps or using ovulation predictor kits (OPKs) will help. And ovulation is always 14 days before you get your period no matter how long your cycle is. So 10 dpo is 10 days after you ovulate and 4 days before your period is due. If you're lucky enough to have a very regular cycle of, for example, 28 (or 32) days each time, you can work out that you always ovulate on day 14 (or on day 18) of your cycle (day 1 being first day of your period). If your cycle is longer, say 35 days, you won't ovulate until day 21. It's important to know this so you can figure out when to "try". Most people don't have a completely regular cycle which is why we all wreck our heads here wondering when we're going to ovulate! hope that helps! I wish they had taught this at school! :o0