What's in your hospital bag??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Here\'s Hopin\' Posts: 19
So I've a few bit and bobs left out for the hospital bag, but not sure if I'm missing something... So far I have: nappies, sudocream, vests, babygros, mittens, hats, bedding for baby (hospital doesn't supply it any more boo-hoo),cotton wool, wipes, nighties & pjs for me, slippers, dressing gown, flip flops, general toiletries, witch hazel, arnica, pads (of all descriptions :-8 ). Need to add some snacks, camera, phone charges, magazines. Is there anything really obvious that I'm missing??? Am "only" 30 weeks now, but trying to get organised (not so easy with a very active toddler at home and a DH who broke his arm the other night, thinking he was Ronaldo on the soccer pitch.. sigh :hic ) Thanks a lot, as always O:o)
Mrs W Posts: 2923
I'd leave out the sudocrem, cotton wool and magazines. They told us not to use any cream unless there's a rash, cotton wool is terrible for those first poos and water wipes are fine. Unless you're in before you go into labour you won't have time for magazines, I brought my ds like a big innocent eejit. Make sure it's a light dressing gown too, you'll be baked in there. Only my night dresses were short I wouldn't have put it on at all. Good luck!
LittleLily Posts: 3682
Do you need slippers and flip flops?
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I used both. Sometimes it was too hot for slippers. Also, if you're sharing a shower I'd consider flip-flops essential.
Weird Cat Lady Posts: 3501
Flip flops are advisable as your ankles may swell and slippers enhance the heat, which doesn't help.
Mrs W Posts: 2923
Flip flops would be better than slippers, my waters filled mine and I had to put them back in to walk to the delivery suite...
Sassypants Posts: 4461
[quote="LittleLily":3ttkt4xg]Do you need slippers and flip flops?[/quote:3ttkt4xg] I used flip flops as slippers. Would definitely leave out sudocreme and cotton wool. Agree with everything Mrs W said.
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
I'd also leave out the sudocream and cotton wool. Re pjs and nightdresses, don't know how many you have but only bring 2 pairs and keep one or two pairs in your OHs car with spare vests/baby grows for baba. Don't know which hospital you are going to, but there was very little room for storage in he hospital I was in If you tie your hair up, bring one or two spare bobbins For the toiletries, bring travel size ones, again for storage purposes. Towels for yourself also. Again maybe keep a spare one in the car Black bags, so you need to stay in longer than a day or two, so you can send dirty washing home Have going away outfits ready in a bag for OH to grab And have car seat ready also
MayBee Posts: 346
Girls, can I ask where you got the arnica and witch hazel, I've tried a couple of chemists and boots and haven't found it, or am I looking for the wrong things, arnica tabs , what c ? And is the witch hazel in oil / liquid form ? First-timer as I'm sure you've guessed !
katiemomma Posts: 2690
They tend not to need any creams the first few days But even second time round i forgot this and put a mini sudocrem in the bag. I would however use cotton wool pleats and water. This is my 4th baby and will be using cotton wool again. I did put baby wipes in my bag for myself as well as face cloths found them handy for a quick freshen up the first time round. Would definitely have an extra bag packed with more pjs, pads, baby clothes and a going home outfit for you (and baby)