What's Ireland Eating, Did anybody see this?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

adelz Posts: 3088
Hi all, just wondering did anybody see this programme the other night? What did you think of it. I was sickened to think of how the authorities are allowing this go on and us not know about it >:o( I never knew about the nitrite and was shocked when I heard the statistics. It really has opened my eyes.
Twirl Posts: 5598
Was that the programme on sunday night about ( mostly ) the chickens and where they came from?
Yeah the chickens and then the products they put into esp pork for the shelf life to last longer. It was amazing what we don't know and how they get away wit it >:o(
You think you are picking the healthy option in a deli but getting chicken instead of ham and now i think god that chicken could be a week old. Or even in the butchers, i just alwasy presumed i was buying irish chicken. It was scary and also so how tesco and the likes are squeezing suppliers. I really thought when you got BOGOFF or percentage free i just presumed the retailer took that cost not the supplier/grower. This should be a strong food producing country and yet we are seeing our farm and fish industries being destroyed.
Couldn't agree more, we are seeing them just vanish really. I always assumed it was the supermarket too making the offers, not them squeezing it out of the supplier! :-8 The chicken aspect really opened my eyes, although when I would be buying prepacked meat I would always check that it is from the Republic of Ireland, otherwise I don't buy it. But now I think I will be trying to find my local craft butcher and probably will stick with him. Reason I say a craft butcher is because meat from a craft butcher is sourced slaughtered and prepared locally! Which I never really thought of before now.
Im the same always check the label and i always try to buy irish where possible. Look at the milk, dunnes we selling own brand milk saying it was irish but it was from northern ireland. See when you say craft butcher, is that just a normal butcher on the main street? What bugged me too is when that supplier in Monaghan/ cavan said that when you see 10 chicken fillets for €10 they couldn't be irish. I bought 10 fillets from a butchers before for that price :eek
They have been awarded the Craft Butcher logo or train as it, you would see it on their windows they display it. Check out your local ones here See I would say if you got it in butchers you'd be fairly ok, but next time Ill be asking! I never noticed that about milk, I only buy avonmore normally but that's a good one.
I normally buy Avonmore too, but for a while i was buying Tesco ( before they changed to non irish again ) as it was made by avonmore. I will have a look at that site thanks.
No bother
Jeidi Posts: 3128
Is tesco milk not Irish :eek Thats disgraceful, they should be ashamed of themselves.