What's so bad about gripe water?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mrs J Posts: 387
I'm a southener living in the North so at least I can get gripe water if i need to. But i know midwife/health visitor advise against it and have DD on infacol instead and i know its banned in the south but does anyone know why?
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
I thought it was because gripe water had alcohol in it but i could be wrong.
jen2 Posts: 3106
I was told because it had alcohol in it, and I know parents we abusing it,( over the stated does) by giving it to babies at night time to sleep. Jen2
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Googled it for you!!!here you go........ Giving of medicine bottles containing: gripe water “behoedmiddels” ”wonderkroon” entress drops aloe syrup red lavender chest drops cramp drops castor oil milk of magnesia “versterkdruppels” Why? Family tradition Common baby problems such as coughing, winds, constipation, cramps/colic, runny nose as a sedative Facts: Most of these products contain a high percentage of alcohol and are, therefore, not suitable for babies (Gripe water, for instance contains 4.4% alcohol). Self-medication must be given according to the medical prescription of the doctor and not out of habit or because of family tradition. Medicine bottles are sometimes given for the wrong reasons or are given incorrectly and can be disadvantageous to the baby.
Mrs J Posts: 387
Thanks a million! That's that sorted - will stick to the infacol for now!
Moet for me Posts: 1841
As far as I know it doesn't contain alcohol anymore but it doesn't work as well as a consequence. Jeez when you think 4.4% alcohol that is the same as giving baba a sup of beer :o0 .
bumpity bump Posts: 135
When a friend of mine was about 2 and a half, he took the bottle of gripe water from the kitchen table when his parents weren't looking. Drank the whole lot down, conked out and they couldn't wake him!! They frantically called the doctor and he said "let him sleep it off, he'll be fine". When he eventually woke up he was complaining of having a headache. His first hangover at 2 years of age!! :o0 :o0
Baby cakes Posts: 1237
[quote="Moet for Me":29fu3b2l]As far as I know it doesn't contain alcohol anymore but it doesn't work as well as a consequence. Jeez when you think 4.4% alcohol that is the same as giving baba a sup of beer :o0 .[/quote:29fu3b2l] this is true!! i used to give my one gripewater when she was a tot, great for getting windys up and stopping hic cups. then it was banneddown south. I was in manchester last yr and bought a couple of bottles for my cousin and we noticed that there is no alcohol in it anymore so dont know why it is still banned here
Port Princess Posts: 1154
Gripe water was a god send I can't believe you can't get it anymore!!! I have to admit I took it more than the kids I loved the taste of it! We use to slag my nanny because she'd always do the same but she was a pioneer so wasn't meant to take alcohol :o0 :o0
chilledout Posts: 834
I have gripe water I got in the UK and it doesn't have any alcohol in it. I was told the reason they don't sell it in Ireland is something to do with licensing rather than the ingredients. Infacol made my DS vomit and gripe water is the only thing that helps his wind so I'm going to keep on using it!