What's your fail safe dinner party menu?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

DillieDallie Posts: 423
Hi Ladies Seeing as staying in is the new going out, we are having a few friends over tomorrow night for dinner. Whats your fail safe dinner party menu? There will be 6 of us in total and ideally I would like something I could start working on this evening. Thanks in advance :wv
Rogue User Posts: 6101
A roast chicken - or two if there are a lot of guests. Everyone loves chicken. Roast Spuds, roast parsnip, roast sweet potato, steamed carrots and home made gravy. Its one of the easiest dinners to make. If you're looking for something a bit different maybe prawns with a spicey garlic tomato sauce with spaghetti. It always goes down a treat if you can get your hand on some fresh uncooked prawns. Serve with warm bruschetta or garlic bread. Scrummy!
LastRolo Posts: 6892
+1 I'm cooking too tomorrow for two couples and REALLY NERVOUS
Sweetmum Posts: 2146
we are always do mexican like fajitas and tacos. the meat can be done in advance just heated up a few minutes before you eat with the wraps and tacos shells heated up in microwave you could have the table set with lots of mexican dips like salsa and sour cream and serve food with homemade wedges so easy and always going down a treat! yum
ShutterBug Posts: 1056
If its not too fancy a dinner party and just a few friends over I make homemade lasange with salad, chips and garlic bread. Everything can be made in advance and no pressure that evening except serving it up! Chocolate cake for dessert. Starter would be chicken something or duck spring rolls with salad and sweet chili sauce If its more formal than lasange something like chicken wrapped in parma ham with stuffing and veg and gravy.
bubs2012 Posts: 521
Pasta bake with some nice salad and chips if you like... Lasasge with salad and chips Chicken/beef curry with rice and chips.. Why do i always get hungry if someone is talking about food. You could always look up the come dine with me menus and pick something from that. Best of luck with it
[quote="bubs2011":llj698k9]Pasta bake with some nice salad and chips if you like... Lasasge with salad and chips Chicken/beef curry with rice and chips.. Why do i always get hungry if someone is talking about food. You could always look up the[u:llj698k9] come dine with me menus[/u:llj698k9] and pick something from that. Best of luck with it[/quote:llj698k9] Pigs cheek! MMMMMM! NOT! :o0
Does everyone serve chips with Lasagne here? And with curry? Carb overload! I never heard of that before but everyone here seems to do it...
MizMelanie Posts: 1443
oooh I love having dinner parties! My failsafes are - Starter - Garlic and chilli prawns - so easy to make - marinate them for a few hours before pan frying them or a blue cheese with poached pear and walnut salad (this has to be made and served pretty much straight away though). Main - chicken and chorizo rice bake (nevan maguire recipe - dead easy and can be made the day before). I substitute leeks for the artichokes as don't like artichokes. Dessert - white chocolate and baileys cheesecake - nigella's recipe - sinful but amazing! Again, make the night before and it should be set perfectly the next day. I serve with raspberries and chocolate sauce.
bubs2012 Posts: 521
I missed come dine with me this week but heard about the pigs cheeks.. wouldn't touch of them with a 10ft barge pole and a bottle of domestos.. as for the chips, there really just an added side dish for anyone who wishes to have them..they are personally not my choice