What's your favourite unsolved mystery?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lux Posts: 6270
Totally robbed from a thread I was reading on boards! When I was younger I loved the X Files, alien abduction stories etc. I was reading about the Beaumont children on the boards thread and it freaked me out!
Girl From Mars Posts: 1446
Who are the Beaumont children? Amelia Earhart's disappearance is one that bugs me a bit. I'm sure there's a ton of them cos, like you, I was obsessed with X-Files. I loved anything mysterious. Used to love watching Unsolved Mysteries too :)
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
Oh what's the Beaumont children? Never heard of that. I guess it's not my 'favourite' unsolved mystery, I don't want to be crass about it as there may be girls here who know those involved, but I do regularly think about the missing Leinster women like Annie McCarrick and Deirdre Jacobs and Fiona Pender. Just regular women who went missing, some yards form their home, never to be seen again. It makes me incredibly nervous about being out and about, I'm always on my guard and if female relatives are ever more than say 20 mins late to meet me I immediately start to think that something's happened to them. I know that sounds so silly, but I can't help it. My door is always locked and I always carry my mobile phone in my pocket, even in my own home, just in case. In case of what, I'm not sure, but jsut in case anyway! God seeing that written down I sound like an absolute loon.
lolabelle Posts: 3311
My one is the ancient astronaut drawings. Gives me the willies!
hadtoleave Posts: 2522
“favourite” isn’t the right word but I have to say the disappearance of Madeline McCann really resonated with me for some reason. No idea why, I was doing my finals in college at the time and was glued to the news, I have no kids or nieces/nephews but for some reason this is one that I think of regularly even still. Same when Holly and Jessica went missing a few years before that, but that isn’t unsolved.
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
Oh sooo many!! My main one is Anastasia, the daughter of the last Tsar of Russia - the story is that she escaped the massacre of her family and went on to live in France. I'd love to know the whole story (if there's any truth to it). Also would love to know who built those giant heads on Easter Island and why. The one I think about most often is Madeleine McCann though, I would love to know what really happened there.
queen30 Posts: 1551
Picnic at Hanging Garden (not "favourite" obviously as people died). I read the book when i was at school and then saw the film. it totally freaked me out - WHAT HAPPENED?!?!
HippyChic Posts: 1812
Spontaneous human combustion - I was obsessed with this when I was younger and it still fascinates me. My Granddad bought me a book of mysteries when I was little and I must have read the print off the pages for the chapter on SHC! :o0 Actually, anything that smacks of the supernatural will always grab my attention. My OH is into all the conspiracy theories - between us we have the whole spectrum of lunatic ideas. His favourite of mine is that I actually have a plan for what to do in the event of a zombie outbreak :-8 :o0 :o0 :o0
Girl From Mars Posts: 1446
[quote="HippyChic":3t2vzj3y]His is favourite of mine is that I actually have a plan for what to do in the event of a zombie outbreak :-8 :o0 :o0 :o0[/quote:3t2vzj3y] Glad I'm not the only one :-8
BusyDee Posts: 8527
Oh I love all those mysteries!! Of couse I cant think of any favourite ones right now :duh: Will have to google about the beaumont children and hanging garden. The missing women is one closer to home that I would LOVE if they solved it or at least found their bodies (if they are dead, which is most likely). Was watching a documentary last week about Jaycee Dugard and its amazing how many thought she must be dead and would never see her again and then BAM her mother gets a call to say she was found.. ALIVE after 18 years, can you imagine?