What to do when you choose a hospital?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

gemini chica Posts: 2581
Hi Girls, As I was pregnant in Spain I am not sure of the procedure there, but my friend just found out she is pregnant and she filled in for combined care with the gp and has choosen to go to Holles Street, he filled in a letter for her and said he would send it off. So what does she do now, wait for something in the post of does she also need to call Holles Street and if so what does she ask for/do? Thanks!
Mamaboom Posts: 2094
I'm going to the Coombe but my GP also sent off my letter. I got an appointment in the post from the Coombe. I'd say HS is the same. Maybe tell her to give it a few days and ring HS, my doctor was quite slow sending off my letter (took a week from my visit)
wifin Posts: 4761
My doctor sent off my letter for combined care but I had to call Holles St myself to make my first appt and first scan. I'm public if that makes a difference?
Biancee fiancee Posts: 907
Think it depends on GP. My GP told me to ring them direct and book myself in. I'm private. Not sure if it's a public/private issue. Maybe get your friend to check with her doc? Otherwise things might get delayed
Winter B2B Posts: 3494
I'm attending Holles St, I had to ring them myself, you get a registration number and then you have to book whichever clinic you want to go to (public, private, semi private, midwife clinic, domino scheme etc). My gp told me that for holles st I'd have to organise it myself. Your friend should definitely check with her gp as the longer she leaves it the further away her appointments will be. And if she's going privae she'll have less consultants to choose from.
babychino Posts: 634
I would recommend that she rings Holles St herself, the sooner the better, as they will book in a certain number each month. She will need to ring for a booking number 1st, then ring the relevant clinic - public/domino/semi private etc. There's a good bit of info on each of the options on the NMH website.
MummyLuv Posts: 2478
Yep as OP said you have to ring to get a booking ref (on HS website) http://www.nmh.ie/iopen24/index.php Then she'll ring whichever clinic she is going to and they book her in for 1 st app.
gemini chica Posts: 2581
Thanks a million girls, did any of you go for the midwife clinic or Domino Scheme and if so would you recommend it?