What to expect @ 1st consultant visit? (Holles Street!)

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

January Baby Posts: 1427
Just wondering what happens at the first appointment? How long does it take? Did anyone ever ask for a scan & did you get it? I had a missed m/c & find it hard to relax about this pregnancy by just going on my symptoms, I was thinking of asking for another reassurance scan-do you think I'd have any luck? My consultant is Dr Mc Partland.
newly_wed Posts: 1039
Hi babycrazy, I am semi-priv at Holles St and my first visit went as follows : First, they booked me in which basically involved checking all the details (address, date of birth, health ins etc) that I had already given them over the phone when I first booked in, paying a fee and she prepared and gave me my folder. Then I had to give a urine sample (bring one with u if u can - much easier) was weighed and had bloods and my medical/family history taken. Then I saw my consultant - I am with Dr keane, he just asked how I was feeling,checked my blood pressure, asked if I had any probs or questions and he has his own mini-scanner so I did get a scan on my first visit. It can be quite crowded as its tight for space and a bit overwhelming in there on your first visit as u have to queue to be weighed, queue again for your bloods, queue then for your consultant. but the midwife in there has the place running ship shape and they are very, very nice in there! Best of luck! :wv
MummyLuv Posts: 2478
be prepared he isn't a man of many words but I think he's great, u'll be in and out in 5 mins so have ur q's ready for him. In general no they don't scan u, he had to scan me but thats cuz he couldn't find babs heartbeat so thats why i go a mini scan otherwise no they won't scan u U go in, see receptionist inside the door, the 1st app queue to give ur details etc (bring VHI/Bupa/Vivas no) is right beside her. U also pay ur €260 odd now. Then u go into the queue or ur weight and urine sample, go up top of stairs and get a jar from the bucket as soon as u come in saves time (pee in it then too, toilet is down corridor a bit on the left) as people won't hold ur place (I would but saw some girls get in a right strop). Once u've done that with the first w/f she'll send u to get ur bloods done, then u join his queue (MW gives u a number), he will literally give u five minutes they go through people really quickly so make sure u have all ur q's done for him. Good luck am in with him tomorrow he's back from his hols TG
Barbalou Posts: 1617
hey babycrazy same as you, when's your first appointment
Barbaloumy appointment is next Tuesday,
#The 22nd? That's mine too
Yep, the 22nd! My appointment is at 13.30pm & I'm with Dr McPartland so might see you in there! Is your DH going with you?
2.30 and yes he is, he likes to feel involved LOL