What to expect from a sweep

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

babyd2bnumber2 Posts: 351
Hi ladies, I'm booked in for a sweep on Friday as I'm due on Thursday, not too sure what to expect, is it very sore? As sore as an internal or worse? Just want to prepare myself, plus how effective did people find it? Thank u
lincoln Posts: 387
I found it uncomfortable but I think alot has to do with the person who is carrying out the sweep as this was posted on before and there were mixed experiences. Alot of people found the sweep no more uncomfortable than an internal (which I found fine and I had a few). I think I was just unfortunate with the doctor I got. I would say that if you find it very uncomfortable, say this and perhaps ask for someone else. But you'll be fine and best of luck with everything.
BallerinaBride09 Posts: 610
I found it very painful, completely different to having an internal. A friend of mine who is a 3rd year Obs/Gyn said that if it's not sore it won't work/hasn't been done properly. If it does work she said you can expect results within 12-24 hours. I had mine done on EDD+1 at 11am. The next morning at around 9am I had a bit of a show and lost my plug. The following night, after plenty of pre labour pains my waters broke and I had my baby girl by the next night (EDD+4). Best of luck! Oh and yes it's sore, but it's over quickly enough.
babyd2bnumber2 Posts: 351
Thanks for the honest replies ladies, it's good to know what I'm preparing myself for. I suppose if it's quick enough I can brace myself for the pain ... hopefully it'll all be worth it
Emomc Posts: 2069
[quote="BallerinaBride09":1n4bl7ct]I found it very painful, completely different to having an internal. A friend of mine who is a 3rd year Obs/Gyn said that if it's not sore it won't work/hasn't been done properly. If it does work she said you can expect results within 12-24 hours. I had mine done on EDD+1 at 11am. The next morning at around 9am I had a bit of a show and lost my plug. The following night, after plenty of pre labour pains my waters broke and I had my baby girl by the next night (EDD+4). Best of luck! Oh and yes it's sore, but it's over quickly enough.[/quote:1n4bl7ct] Sorry I also found it quite sore but it was over very quickly. Mine also took a few days to work but got there in the end. Best of luck x
plumpudding Posts: 189
Found it sore too, but like the girls said no pain, no gain. Had mine on a Wednesday and baba was here friday morning! Best of luck x
t2be2012 Posts: 718
I found it more uncomfortable than sore tbh similar to getting an internal. I had one at 40+6 weeks at around 11 am. I was crampy for an hour to 2hours after then felt pretty normal! I started getting contractions then at 10.30 that night and ds was born the next morning at 11.30!! Best of luck !!
theoracle Posts: 7664
The sweep is usually sore if your cervix isn't very favorable, meaning it hasn't really started to shorten and dilate and is completely closed/long. If the cervix is favorable it is all much less uncomfortable. And it only works if you are ready to go anyway. You could be 10 days or more after a sweep. You might also spot after the sweep, so don't panic if you see a bit of blood.
Boogiegirl Posts: 67
I was really panicking over having a sweep, and although it wasnt nice it wasnt near as bad as I thought it would be and it was over very quickly. James was born a week later :eek but I started to feel pain soon afterwards. It turned out he was 'back to back' otherwise they reckon he would have been born earlier.