What to expect?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Wifey21 Posts: 28
Hi everyone, First pregnancy and I'm very excited and terrified at the same time! Decided to go semi private and have bloods next week in Holles St and not sure what to expect. Also not sure what to expect at the first appointment with the consultant. Would be great if anyone could give me any insights!! Thanks!!
Dee78 Posts: 263
[quote="Wifey21":38wi7g1j]Hi everyone, First pregnancy and I'm very excited and terrified at the same time! Decided to go semi private and have bloods next week in Holles St and not sure what to expect. Also not sure what to expect at the first appointment with the consultant. Would be great if anyone could give me any insights!! Thanks!![/quote:38wi7g1j] Hi wifey21 and big congrats on your pregnancy!! I'm SP in Holles St too. At the first appointment you just see a midwife and she does bloods and medical history etc.. There's no scan at this appointment though. I just booked a scan in the private clinic for after the appointment, that was EUR120 and was so worth it to see babs swimming about!! That was in Merrion Fetal Health which is part of the hospital just around the corner on Mount Street (No. 60 I think!) - just opposite the Bon Espresso cafe. When you go for your second appointment (1st with the consultant) you might be waiting a while as the clinic is open for a set time eg 1pm - 3:30pm and everyone just turns up early so it gets busy. So basically although you're given an appointment time you'll still be waiting but it's really well managed so it's grand. Just go in and register at the little reception area and then you go and grab a "pee cup" (can't think of the proper term :-8 ) and go in a do a sample then queue up and the nurse checks the sample, weighs you and sends you off to wait to see the consultant. My advice would be have any questions you want to ask the consultant written down as you'll only be in there 5 mins or so and it flys by!! I've been in with my consultant twice so far and both times he's done a quick scan even though the midwives told me he wouldn't when I rang beforehand and asked!! Then you'll have the 20(ish) week scan which will be in the main hospital just with the sonographer so you won't see consultant or midwife that time. All other appointments will then be made as you go along. You probably already got a letter from the hospital explaining where the SP clinic is but just in case... It's not in the main entrance of the hospital but just go past the main entrance and under the arch way where the car park barrier thingy is and it's in there in a portacabin on your right! Best of luck!! It's the only time you actually look forward to going to the hospital/doctor!! Sorry very long post but hope it's of some help to you :-8
Thanks dee78. Great relief to have an idea of what to expect! Getting bloods on tues so have to prepare myself for that!! Terrified of needles.
Babyair Posts: 17
Thanks Dee78! Helped me too! Registered with HS SP today got appointment for bloods in mid March and appointment with the consultant for end of April feels so far away. I have booked in for scan in Merrion Fetal at 10 weeks as just can't wait that long!
Dee78 Posts: 263
[quote="Babyair":10xv86un]Thanks Dee78! Helped me too! Registered with HS SP today got appointment for bloods in mid March and appointment with the consultant for end of April feels so far away. I have booked in for scan in Merrion Fetal at 10 weeks as just can't wait that long![/quote:10xv86un] No prob Babyair, glad to be of help! Congrats on your pregnancy, so exciting! Yeah the appointments seemed like ages away at the beginning alright, I remember thinking they'd never come!!! Time does fly though especially once you get to the stage where you've told people! Best of luck with everything!
Hi Babyair, Myself and dh were just saying that it feels like I've been pregnant forever even though I'm only 7 weeks. We haven't told anyone yet so maybe time will go by quicker when we share our great news. First appointment with the consultant is not till April and that seems like a lifetime!