What to expect when vistiting doctor to confirm BFP??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lush11 Posts: 2877
Going to go to the doctor on Tues but just wondering what she will do. Will it be just testing my pee and telling me to pick a hospital or will it be a more indepth examination?
Mamaboom Posts: 2094
Doctors seem to vary, some will take your word for it that you're pregnant or they might do a test. Mine didn't bother doing one, she weighed me, took bloods and asked me what hospital I wanted to go to. Also asked if I was going to do combined care. My doctor sent off the letter to the Coombe for me so I didn't have to contact them myself. Just make sure you find out if you've to book in yourself or if the doctor will do it for you. Good luck!
mommanancy Posts: 325
TBH I wouldnt expect a lot (well going by my doctor) she didnt do any bloods, or examinations just asked date of my last period and told me due date. She also explained public / private and which hospital I wanted to go to and then sent letter off. Went though list of dos and donts regarding foods etc. I think it more of a formality to get the ball rolling for the hospital appointment than an actual medical appointment.
ghostchild2 Posts: 6237
I second all of the above but I will also say be careful that it may feel like a bit of an anti-climax iykwim. I remember being so excited about going to see my doc, eventough I had had 2 postive tests I still couldn't believe I was finally pregnant. My doc was lovely and really happy for me but it was only after I came out that I realised she never done a test and for me that was a let down. I still couldn't believe I was pg, for some reason to me it felt like it would only be real if the doc told me it was but because she just took my word for it still felt fake.
MrsDr Posts: 1316
Mine didnt do a test either, was a bit disappointed :o( But I had done 4 myself before seeing him! Took blood pressure, weighed me, went through list of food I should stay away from and asked what hospital I wanted to go to. Answered some of my silly questions: Is it ok to fly? Can I still dye my hair? Can I still get fake tan? I was :-8 but it didnt to be asked for peace of mind! How did you get on Lusk10?
I got on grand. Lovely young doctor who congratulated me. He said because i had done a test myself there was no need to test again but did one anyway and tested my urine to make sure it was clear (whatever that meant, well it didnt have any drugs or alcohol in it if that what he meant, lol). Weighed me, took blood pressure, gave me some forms and told me to ring Rotunda and decide to go semi private or private. The longer im pregnant the more i get so overwhelmed and realise how HUGE this is. Just hope things go ok in the first 12 weeks. The doctor reminded me that a third of all pregnancies end in miscarraige which i am aware of anyway.
Yeah, we've only told people that i would have told anyway like my mam and my best friend cos she's ttc at the moment too. Gonna have to tell work too cos it's a risky job for baby and i dont wanna take any chances.