What veil to wear?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

September 2005 Posts: 377
I am wearing the Maggie McKensie dress for my wedding but do not know anything about veils and if i go to the shop i am getting my dress in to ask them cause i know it will cost a fortune. I would like to buy it online or get it made but haven't a clue what lenght or description i should be looking for. All i know is that it has to be long and plain.. :?
Mrs EJ Posts: 365
If you are looking for long & plain go for a cathedral length, its the longest there is. I got mine for €250...but well worth it, got it in Gorey in Eden Bridal! Check out www.theknot.com it gives you a list of the different types and the best one to suit your face shape. :wink:
ingrid Posts: 13
not to knock the other advice but cathaderal length is way too long. I'm going for one just below my shoulder the lower back length. Its very personal I know but look through magazines and find what you like. :)
Lara Posts: 334
[quote:2y04d9b2]I am wearing the Maggie McKensie dress for my wedding but do not know anything about veils and if i go to the shop i am getting my dress in to ask them cause i know it will cost a fortune. I would like to buy it online or get it made but haven't a clue what lenght or description i should be looking for. All i know is that it has to be long and plain.. :?[/quote:2y04d9b2] Why don't you go into the shop where you bought the dress and get guidance from them on the veil. You needn't commit yourself to buying it there but they'll be able to advise you on what suits best.
Perci Posts: 3847
I think if your tall you can carry off a cathedral length veil, but I'm only 5ft 2" and I tried one on and it looked hideous! I went for a waist length 2 tier veil which apparently is the best for bias cut dresses (not sure what style your dress is). Have a look at www.veilshop.com that's where I got mine and they have all styles and can custom make them at great prices.
Buttons Posts: 157
I wasn't going to go for a veil at all but the woman st the shop suggested a cathedral length and when she put it on I LOVED it. I definately think you should try it on in the shop. Tell them you'll "think about it" and get a quote, then scout around online if you're worried about the cost.
Mrs Peg Bundy Posts: 2515
Ingrid, I thought you and the h2b had decided to cool things off? :roll:
trishy Posts: 188
I agree, try it on in the shop get a feel for length and then go else where for a cheaper option! Another thing to think of is ... the wind has a tendancy to grap the shorter ones and you could spend the day holding it down. Whereas the longer ones are a bit heavier and behave themselves better! So I was told in a few bridal shops anyway!!
september23rd Posts: 84
I agree you will have to try it on with the dress to get the full effect. And then you can go online or check out other shops. You are buying the dress there so don't worry about the people in the shop they will be more than helpful.