What way should i do it?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

happilymarried2010 Posts: 493
just wondering what exactly we need for baby due at Christmas? O:o) We have a Moses basket from my brother which is 7 yrs old-will it stil be ok? I was going to keep that one downstairs & get another for our room?? Yes/No?? We have a travel system from him also (7yrs old). Will this car seat be ok? Should we have a car seat in both of our cars? We will buy a travel cot i think for when we visit our parents houses but can new born sleep in them?? How long does baby stay in our own room?? Do we need cot then for nursery instead of Moses basket when they move in there? Sorry if i appear brain dead but family will be insulted if we dont use old baby stuff you see. thanks for any advice girls :thnk :thnk :thnk
discuss1 Posts: 329
I thought this was a way more racy post must admit I'm a little disappointed! Only joking! I'm sure 7 year old stuff is perfect! My mil has pulled out the cot that my dh used for when we visit and I'm more than happy with that!
sparklybabe Posts: 3353
[quote="happilymarried2010":3t4jpxb4]just wondering what exactly we need for baby due at Christmas? O:o) We have a Moses basket from my brother which is 7 yrs old-will it stil be ok? I was going to keep that one downstairs & get another for our room?? Yes/No?? why dont you use the pram part of the travel system during the day for naps downstairs. as for the basket it would be grand We have a travel system from him also (7yrs old). Will this car seat be ok? Should we have a car seat in both of our cars? tbh id get a new car seat its the one thing i wouldnt do second hand We will buy a travel cot i think for when we visit our parents houses but can new born sleep in them?? i wouldnt bother with a travel cot for a few months tbh. they are a bit big for newborn How long does baby stay in our own room?? Do we need cot then for nursery instead of Moses basket when they move in there? this depends on the parents the recommendation is six mths... the moses basket only lasts for about six weeks or so so yes you would need a cot Sorry if i appear brain dead but family will be insulted if we dont use old baby stuff you see. thanks for any advice girls :thnk :thnk :thnk[/quote:3t4jpxb4]
Fifi Trixibelle Posts: 472
[i:3vttsprs][b:3vttsprs]We have a Moses basket from my brother which is 7 yrs old-will it stil be ok? [/b:3vttsprs][/i:3vttsprs] I would say it will be fine, but do get a new mattress. You can buy these in any baby shops and you should buy a new mattress for any second hand sleeping thing - cot etc. I bought all my baby mattresses in Michael Guineys, and I've no complaints. [i:3vttsprs][b:3vttsprs]I was going to keep that one downstairs & get another for our room?[/b:3vttsprs][/i:3vttsprs] I never used a Moses basket. Depending on the size of the baby, they might not get very long out of it. I had a loan of a gliding cradle from my cousin, and we used this for nighttime sleep up until about 4 months. During the day, she slept very happily in her pram. It might not be worthwhile getting another. You could always use that moses basket upstairs, and put baba sleeping in the pram downstairs. Just make sure it is the lying flat pram part, not a reclined seat. [i:3vttsprs][b:3vttsprs]We have a travel system from him also (7yrs old). Will this car seat be ok? [/b:3vttsprs][/i:3vttsprs] If it has never been in a crash, I'm sure it would be fine. To put your mind at ease, you can find out the safety standard on it, and check if that is current, or if there have been important developments since then. [i:3vttsprs][b:3vttsprs]Should we have a car seat in both of our cars?[/b:3vttsprs][/i:3vttsprs] That would depend. Unless there will be a lot of switching between cars, I'm not sure it would be worth it. I would definitely not buy one in advance, and see how you get along. You can always buy one later if you feel it is necessary. [i:3vttsprs][b:3vttsprs]We will buy a travel cot i think for when we visit our parents houses but can new born sleep in them??[/b:3vttsprs][/i:3vttsprs] Look for a travel cot that has the bassinet (sp) insert, I think newborns can sleep in these. [i:3vttsprs][b:3vttsprs]How long does baby stay in our own room??[/b:3vttsprs][/i:3vttsprs] As long as you want. I think the general "rule" is 6 months, but that's only guidance. You will know your own baby, and when you feel ready to move them. Lots of people move them earlier than 6 months, and lots leave it later. Not something you need to worry about yet. [i:3vttsprs][b:3vttsprs]Do we need cot then for nursery instead of Moses basket when they move in there?[/b:3vttsprs][/i:3vttsprs] Like I said earlier, I think most babies don't get that long out of the moses basket. We were given a cot bed, so that's what she moved into after the gliding cradle. It's very much a personal choice as to how little or how much stuff you want, and how much you want to spend. My advice is to gratefully accept any loans of cradles/cots/toys etc as you get - they grow out of things pretty quickly and then you are left having to find somewhere to store them. Best of luck for teh rest of your pregnancy!!
ghostchild2 Posts: 6237
totally agree with Happy thoughts with all of the above :wv
[quote="discuss1":2m21zwn6]I thought this was a way more racy post must admit I'm a little disappointed! Only joking! I'm sure 7 year old stuff is perfect! My mil has pulled out the cot that my dh used for when we visit and I'm more than happy with that![/quote:2m21zwn6] sorry for disappointing you, bet you were expecting a big dirty sex positions query :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie:
[quote="Happy thoughts":1df684yl][i:1df684yl][b:1df684yl]We have a Moses basket from my brother which is 7 yrs old-will it stil be ok? [/b:1df684yl][/i:1df684yl] I would say it will be fine, but do get a new mattress. You can buy these in any baby shops and you should buy a new mattress for any second hand sleeping thing - cot etc. I bought all my baby mattresses in Michael Guineys, and I've no complaints. [i:1df684yl][b:1df684yl]I was going to keep that one downstairs & get another for our room?[/b:1df684yl][/i:1df684yl] I never used a Moses basket. Depending on the size of the baby, they might not get very long out of it. I had a loan of a gliding cradle from my cousin, and we used this for nighttime sleep up until about 4 months. During the day, she slept very happily in her pram. It might not be worthwhile getting another. You could always use that moses basket upstairs, and put baba sleeping in the pram downstairs. Just make sure it is the lying flat pram part, not a reclined seat. [i:1df684yl][b:1df684yl]We have a travel system from him also (7yrs old). Will this car seat be ok? [/b:1df684yl][/i:1df684yl] If it has never been in a crash, I'm sure it would be fine. To put your mind at ease, you can find out the safety standard on it, and check if that is current, or if there have been important developments since then. [i:1df684yl][b:1df684yl]Should we have a car seat in both of our cars?[/b:1df684yl][/i:1df684yl] That would depend. Unless there will be a lot of switching between cars, I'm not sure it would be worth it. I would definitely not buy one in advance, and see how you get along. You can always buy one later if you feel it is necessary. [i:1df684yl][b:1df684yl]We will buy a travel cot i think for when we visit our parents houses but can new born sleep in them??[/b:1df684yl][/i:1df684yl] Look for a travel cot that has the bassinet (sp) insert, I think newborns can sleep in these. [i:1df684yl][b:1df684yl]How long does baby stay in our own room??[/b:1df684yl][/i:1df684yl] As long as you want. I think the general "rule" is 6 months, but that's only guidance. You will know your own baby, and when you feel ready to move them. Lots of people move them earlier than 6 months, and lots leave it later. Not something you need to worry about yet. [i:1df684yl][b:1df684yl]Do we need cot then for nursery instead of Moses basket when they move in there?[/b:1df684yl][/i:1df684yl] Like I said earlier, I think most babies don't get that long out of the moses basket. We were given a cot bed, so that's what she moved into after the gliding cradle. It's very much a personal choice as to how little or how much stuff you want, and how much you want to spend. My advice is to gratefully accept any loans of cradles/cots/toys etc as you get - they grow out of things pretty quickly and then you are left having to find somewhere to store them. Best of luck for teh rest of your pregnancy!![/quote:1df684yl] thanks so much Happy thoughts for all your great advice & tips :thnk :thnk :thnk :thnk
Fifi Trixibelle Posts: 472
No problem happilymarried2010 - it's something that's so hard to prepare for, it's very easy to buy far more stuff than you need. You're much better off buying only absolute essentials and then buying extras as you find you need them. Glad I could help!!
mammybean Posts: 10364
The moses basket im using is very very old, my mum refurbed it when my cousin was pregnant 11 years ago, made gorgeous covers etc for it. I bought a new mattress. I used to bring the moses basket downstairs in the mornings, they are so light. I actually had 2 but only used the one, Buggy will also be perfect and i dont see why the car seat wouldnt be as well.