what will - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

notlongtogo Posts: 5040
I always called my parents variations of Ma /Da/Mammy/Daddy/Mam/Dad. I think Mom is too American and Mum too British. When i was young if i called my Mam - Maaaaaa, she would maaa like a sheep back at me. :-8 Edited to add, Granny will be - Nanan probably for my Mam, and nanny for MIL, maybe Gaga for grandads???
Christmas B Posts: 6191
[quote:25i1qkqu]I think Mom is too American and Mum too British. [/quote:25i1qkqu] [color=indigo:25i1qkqu]It's funny how we all call them differently!! If I ever called my Mum, "Ma / Mam / Mammy", my Mum just wouldn't answer me!! She didn't like being called that at all but I knew how to get up her goat!![/color:25i1qkqu] :o0
hopeful1973 Posts: 4385
We call our parents Mom & Dad - always did, always will. Unless I'm trying to annoy mom and call her mummy >:o) If i ever do (please God) have children, I really love using mama at the start but i reckon that would change to mom eventually. Dad or daddy at the start for DH... H x
*bubblez* Posts: 1599
yeah it was the Maaaaaaa being roared all over henry street that I don't like. I couldn't stand mammy, I'm not saying this to offend anyone but I hate it the first time I ever heard anyone abouve toddler age saying it was a man who was well into his 40's saying "but mammy" and I nearly threw up it just sounded so wrong!!
twinssep Posts: 1242
isabel was born in the uk and we only moved back last year she still has a little english accent and calls me mummy which i like so i suppose the twins and this baba will caall me that too
I :lvs her name its fab... hubby says I must be a brit at heart cos I love names like charlotte, isabel, sophie which he thinks are v british also love christopher and christian and sebastion for boys...
mumof2 Posts: 3864
We have always called our parents Mom and Dad - I remember even buying Mother's Day cards and changing the u to an o. My friend called her Mom Mam - and I always thought it sounded funny but I guess it's what you are used to. My nephew now calls his parents Mom and Dad Mind you we now call our Dad Papa Smurf as a nickname that just stuck!!
thanks bubblez i love old english mnames too isabel is a real girly name and she is so girlyi like tha names u mentioned our old neighbour in the uk just had a baby boy and she called him christian i love elliott oliver noah jude and eillis for boys but dh likes evan and i love freya faye olivia sophia and charlotte for girls
I love love love Ollie for a boy, he'd be christened oliver but called Ollie I think its a lovely name I also love Oscar as does DH but he thinks it may be a bit out there
oh oscar how cute went to scholl with a lad called oscar he was a babe it was shortened to ossie i love ollie and it woulld go so well with our surname have to persuade dh though !!!!!