What you wouldn't do again

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

micls Posts: 1156
Hi everyone, I've no doubt his topic has come up a million times but we've had plenty of wollies marry this year so new info is welcome. I'm in the last 6 months now and getting down to the nitty gritty e.g. programs, picking flowers/colours, deciding on favours/arrival bags, deciding on drink (how much/what etc). Basically, all the little bits that come with it. What I want to know if which of the little things is worth it. What did you do (or see at the wedding) that made a difference and was worth the effort and on the other side, possibly more importantly, what just wasn't worth the time/effort/cost you put into it. Thanks :)
lucyloo32 Posts: 957
Dont get me wrong, our wedding day was perfect and it was everything we ever wanted, but looking back now, there are many things we just wouldnt have worried about so much... when i say we... i mean me... I bought expensive satin 'wedding shoes'... had to take off for all the photos as the ground was mucky even though it was a summer wedding. by the time it came to dancing at the reception, i had to put on flats my feet (which never swell) were so swollen! bridesmaid shoes- i let the girls pick what they wanted (about 65 euro a pair), their dresses were to the ground with trains so there were no feet in any photos. all had them off at the reception and wore their own flats. favours.... no-one remembers them sexy wedding lingerie... DH and I were far too exhausted (and tipsy) to care, i would have slept in my dress had the room not been so hot flowergirl jewellery and hair pins etc... girls mother had bought her stuff for the day too, so she never wore mine. Hairdresser who did her hair gave her lots of lovely pins and clips in her hair, so mine werent needed wedding umbrellas... we bought these incase it lashed... only to find the car hire company and the photographers had these themselves which they bring with you. youre not going to have photos with your umbrellas, so just bring a normal one if you have cake toppers... very expensive and wont ever be used again. try ebay perhaps
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I wouldn't have worried about everyone enjoying themselves. Most people are not that hard to please and the amount of goodwill you feel on the day is amazing. I wouldn't have invited three guests in particular (personal one this though!). We had our reasons for asking them but they let us down on the day. Still hard to let that go! I wouldn't have focused on tiny details that seemed huge and would add to the overall look but that no one really noticed on the day. Lesson learned for future entertaining! I would have had more decoration for the ceremony. The space was lovely and we didn't think it needed much to make it perfect, but I would have added a few bits here as it would have looked better in the pictures! I wouldn't have left it so long to pick our photos and organise the album. We've a few family members we'd have loved to have shown the album to over Christmas but we left it so long we're still waiting on it all to be finished and its a job I thought we'd have ticked off much sooner.
ryana2 Posts: 62
i think this is a good topic, especially for newbies like me. Obviously no one has 'regrets' but certainly things they would do differently.. Its like the same with anyone, once you've gone through it you have a different perspective. I will be reading this topic intently!
spaced2012 Posts: 275
Yes please post more to this. I started with only 6 months go! so would really appreciate advice on what to not dwell on and things to give a bit more effort :o0 good info so far :hyper:
garfield2012 Posts: 54
[quote="jemsner":2f271t8e]Yes please post more to this. I started with only 6 months go! so would really appreciate advice on what to not dwell on and things to give a bit more effort :o0 good info so far :hyper:[/quote:2f271t8e] +1 its great to get some tips and feedback!!!
workingmom Posts: 3429
Mass flipping booklets, what a waste of time, paper and stress. I hate them, I never bother with them at weddings, and I have never seen anyone take them with them, waste of time, you'd swear the congregation was a bunch of heathens :o0 totally unnecessary.
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
[quote="workingmom":3rwumb0a]Mass flipping booklets, what a waste of time, paper and stress. I hate them, I never bother with them at weddings, and I have never seen anyone take them with them, waste of time, you'd swear the congregation was a bunch of heathens :o0 totally unnecessary.[/quote:3rwumb0a] I'm actually one of the heathens-I'd be lost without an order of service for a religious ceremony. We don't go to mass or attend religious services so its always good to know when prayers etc are to be said. I designed simple one A5 outlines of our order of service and it wasn't that much hassle.
lucyloo32 Posts: 957
oh ya, in hindsight we prob wouldnt have worried about the mass booklets either, we ended up with a boxfull and about 80% were left on the pews after the service and theyre not cheap to be printed.