whats involved?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mrs Electric Posts: 1939
Myself and H2B is standing for my niece this evening, is there any other god parents out there? im getting a little nervous now! whats involved? do we stand at alter all the time through the christening, what do we say etc, if you have any clue please let me know thanks.
Missus Lippy Posts: 5879
Trying to remember back now but don't be worrying, you will be fine! I think you only stand by the altar when the water is being poured and also I think the godparents sit either side of mother and father and all four have to make the sign of the cross on baba's head etc. That's about it I think!
brideeee Posts: 1490
Hi ya, Was godparent last year. there were 2 other christenings at the same time. We all sat in our seats and priest comes to each set of people, you H2B and parents holding baby. He asks questions, like do you reject satan and you just respond 'I do' don't worry you don't need to know anything off by heart, priest will talk you through it. Then you go to font and baby is helf over it and a little holy water is poured over their head. Easy peasy, no need to be nervous, best of luck, xx brideeee
Higgs particle Posts: 4557
Its fine - you sit at the front with the parents each side of them, anything that is to be said is like a group pray and you will be given the sheets to read this off from! Its nice actually - the only thing is depending on the priest you may be asked to go to the back of the church (or wherever the door is) with the parents and the babog, the priest will be there also and will say a blessing and then you all walk up to the front of the church together. Its meant to symbolize the child being welcomed into the church! Its grand really nothing to nervous off - the photos after are the worst (for me anyway - I don't picture well :o( )
Senorita Posts: 3413
Hi, don't be nervous, tis grand. You (God parents) will sit behind the childs parents. The priest will ask you a couple of questions along the lines of raising the child in the Catholic faith, to which you say yes we will (can't remember exactly, but the priest will run through it all with you before hand). You will both then go with the child & their parents up to the font, where the priest will preform the baptism. Ok, I probably haven't worded that very well :-8 but really, there is nothing to worry about. It's a lovely ceremony. Enjoy O:o)
doesnt sound too bad! prob does all depend on priest, have a feeling there will be another christening. its just when i get nervous i start laughing(and cant stop) thats when it gets embarrasing! once we can read it from paper thats ok, thanks girls feel better now (i think) ha ha.
clucky Posts: 26471
just another thing - sometimes the godmother is asked to hold the child while the water is being poured on their head - it freaked me out when i was asked i was praying the baby wouldnt make strange with me - turns out i was the only person who could stop her crying
thanks clucky im pretty good with her so i should be ok!