When are you getting the Nursery Ready?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

happymumof2 Posts: 288
Hi Girls I am just wondering when is everyone getting the nursery ready, before or after baby arrives? Just had a barney with DH as he thinks baby will be in our room for a few months and that we can get the nursery ready then but I had my heart set on getting it ready before baby arrives. He wants to keep the room in case people are coming to the house to stay..... O:| O:| Am I being unreasonable?? Think I am very cranky today which is probably not helping :wv
Daff Posts: 11644
The last thing you'll want to be doing when the baby gets here is starting the nursery! As soon as i hit the 12 week mark I'm going to start clearing out the room - there's a big job to be done just clearing it! Then will start putting the nursery together. To me that's part of getting in the frame of mind that the baby is going to be coming in a few months - i don't want to leave it too late in case i'm too tired and imobile to do it!
loopey Posts: 215
Hi Lucy123, I'm 15 weeks and 1 day pregnant (due 22nd December) and I plan to start work on the Nursery in September. I'd rather have it done and not be worrying about it closer to the time.
happymumof2 Posts: 288
Thanks for the reply girls. I just got so wound up when he said it, its the one thing I am really looking forward to doing and was going to make a start on it in the next few weeks, I think its really special to have it all ready waiting for our new arrival. Anyway I think DH is feeling sorry that he even brought up the subject, but it is the first real barney we have had since I got pregnant so I think he is doing well. :o0 :o0
missust Posts: 370
in the early days i was soo busy lookin for nursery furniture and bedding i was so excited. planned to have the nursery ready before babs came. i've 5 weeks or so to go and still have nothing done in the room....starting to think i'll wait til after baby is born. kinda feel now i dont want all neutral stuff and i've lost appetite for shopping. i'd say if you're gonna do it do it around 25 weeks when you've loads of energy or leave it til after when you can personalise it nicely for your lo.
sept09baby Posts: 1094
I started clearing the room out at about 17 weeks and started decorating it at about 22 weeks. Still have little bits to do and some furniture to get but have a list of stuff to do for the whole house so just ticking things off as I go. Def want to get it done before babs arrives - just don't want that hanging over me.
Bright Star Posts: 756
Hey girls, Just on this--i love the idea of a nursery..Just wondering does baby go into nursery from very beginning. My DH was sayiong baby would be in our room for a while. Is this the Norm or are you all planning on using Nursery from Start!! :wv Thanks
snowbear Posts: 2107
We are a bit extreme... took on building an extension when I got pregnant :o0 but it has to be done. Having said that the plan is to have the nursery ready for babs before he arrives even though he will be in with us for the first few months. I'm going to have the changing unit set up in there so he gets used to the room and even though the recommendation is to keep babs in with you for the first six months I'll probably leave it four and then see how it goes... I have heard people saying you are only waking them at that stage when you come in yourself so I'll see how the sleeping and feeding patterns are before making any decisions. Having said all that though if you have a two bedroom house your fella might also have a point about needing the space. We are lucky in that we have three bedrooms and I fully expect DH to be using the spare room when he goes back to work, or indeed I might be in there myself at times if I want him to do a late feed while I get some kip myself. Tis nice to have teh flexibility.
sunnygirl Posts: 1876
[quote="Bright Star":1cm8x0lk]Hey girls, Just on this--i love the idea of a nursery..Just wondering does baby go into nursery from very beginning. My DH was sayiong baby would be in our room for a while. Is this the Norm or are you all planning on using Nursery from Start!! :wv Thanks[/quote:1cm8x0lk] baby should defo be in your room from the start. they recomend 6 months but lots of parents put their baby in their own room earlier than that. whatever you feel is right at the time I suppose.
Carthusia Posts: 148
We still haven't got our nursery sorted O:| The floor is done but the room still has to be painted, and full of clutter. DD is still in with us and baba no 2 will be with us at the end of October please God. I have visions of two cots in our room -one either side of our bed :o0