When are you obliged to tell work?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I'm now 12.5 weeks and we just told our parents this weekend. I'm not in a mad rush to tell other people but obviously work will need to know for appointments etc. Is there a time limit on this?
AmandaMc Posts: 1813
Legally you don't have to tell work until quite late in the pregnancy- I think so long as you tell them 4 weeks before maternity leave! Couldn't imagine many people waiting this long! But you don't have to rush- could be handy if you've appointments coming up etc
temperence Posts: 136
Our Mat policy says we only have to tell them 4 weeks before we're going on leave! No way anyone can ever do that in here. Myself I'm hoping to not have to tell them till after the New Year. Fingers crossed noone in the office will cop on in the meantime!
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I read somewhere you need to give written notice of two weeks for appointments etc for the time off-do you need to specify maternity on that? My next appt isn't till 21 December so I might tell them two weeks before that and when I want to start ML etc.
temperence Posts: 136
Yeah our policy states you should give 2 weeks notice for appt.s and have your appointment card to hand just in case you're asked for it.
Daisy Row Posts: 3650
Legally you are not required to tell till 4 weeks before ML starts but also you are legally entitled to time off for appointments so if you want them you'll have to at least tell your manager. If there are potential H&S concernces you should really tell them ASAP.