When are you obliged to tell your employer?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Jeidi Posts: 3128
I told my boss yesterday but my friend and his wife are a week ahead of me and she hasn't told her boss yet. He was worried he was legally obliged to tell them when she was three months... which I assured him wasn't the case.... But I cant find where it tells you when you have to tell them by. Is it two weeks before you are due to leave on maternity leave or something like that? Thanks in advance.
blissful2b Posts: 1555
from citizens advice... "Notice: You must give your employer at least 4 weeks' written notice of your intention to take maternity leave and you must also provide your employer with a medical certificate confirming the pregnancy. If you intend to take the additional 16 weeks’ maternity leave you must provide your employer with at least 4 weeks' written notice. Both these notices can be given at the same time. "
Thanking you!
firefly78 Posts: 312
Thanks for this, I'm hoping to keep mine quiet until the end of September as not permanent in work till then, I'll be either 4 mths or 5mths gone, most possibly the first one so do you think I'll still be able to hide it?
That would be roughly 16 weeks? I suppose it depends on your body and your normal figure?? I definately wouldn't have got away with it anyway...
firefly78 Posts: 312
Guess I will have to buy some baggy jumpers as really have to hide it, don't want to give them any excuse.
delgirl Posts: 1706
I would just not say anything - even if you are showing you could pull a 'knocked up' on it - the film I mean where she kept denying she was pregnant even with the massive bump :o0 I highly doubt they would ask just in case you weren't. How embarrassing.
rushinbride Posts: 1097
I was 14wks when I told my boss...I had intended on waiting til i was at least 20wks...I went off on my wedding leave when I was 11wks and returned when I was 14 and in those few wks I'd put on savage bump...literally the day i returned to work I walked in with my jacket on sat down, and announced to the 3 girls in office I was 14wks gone...they were like OMG...i stood up took off my jacket and the 3 in unison p!ssed themselves laughing...they had said if I'd mentioned nothing it would have been so obvious! so i ran straight down stairs and told my boss...luckily tho, as i'd told no one else the rest of the building were 'talking' and figured it out in no time...i think telling your boss is important tho, you don't want them hearing a rumour that you might be expecting... Its also fair to give them decent notice that you'll be out for half a year, 'cause for some it takes a lot of planning to get someone in to temporairly cover your job...