When did/do you tell people?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bubba Bump Posts: 348
Himself wants to wait until Christmas Eve to tell our families and friends - I don't think I can keep my trap shut until then. I think one of my sisters will guess aswell. The girls I work with are already wondering why I'm drinking decaf coffee :o( and wont go for a night out.
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
congrats mummy2b. Well on my first pregnancy we told our families at 6 weeks (we were so excited and well bursting to tell them) unfortunetely it ended in a m/c. This time around we told my parents again at 6 weeks and told no one else till after 12 week scan. Didn't tell work till 16 weeks. It's different for everyone and you do what feels right for you.
Mum-2-be Posts: 108
I told my parents on Monday and we are not going to tell DH's parents yet as as much as I love MIL she is a blabber mouth and would tell EVERYONE! We are waiting until Christmas to tell everyone else. I think it'll be a really nice time to tell people they have an extra pressie to buy next year! :o)ll
jiggy_jo Posts: 1166
well i told immediate family about 5/6 weeks cos i figured if something happened i would need their support. i told work at 8 weeks because i had to due to nature of the job. my closest friends guessed around this time too. now im 12 weeks im happy for people to know, its a wonderful thing to tell :lvs
Bubba Bump Posts: 348
:o)ll BUMP :o)ll
Hopefully07 Posts: 2027
I think it's up to the couple themselves so it's really up to you.... We told my parents at 5 weeks told DH mam at 6.5 weeks and friends at 12 weeks.........Job still don't know and I am nearly 22 weeks!!! Have a scan on Monday and then please God if everythings okay I'll tell them Tuesday!
motherhubbard Posts: 3037
Hi ya.. We told my parents at 4 weeks and 3 days!!! Couldn't keep it in! :o0 :o0 I had to tell my boss at work(over the nature of work) at 5 weeks, only told my boss, not colleagues and told IL's at 5 weeks too. Some close friends have guessed and its really hard to deny if its said to you cos your blushing and smiling :-8 :-8 :-8 :o0 :o0 I was finding it very hard to keep it in too but atleast now that some friends and our families know it doesn't seem as hard to hold it in for another little while from the rest of the world.
swissgirl Posts: 2301
I told my mum at 5 weeks and my sister at 8 weeks (as she was visiting and I wasnt going to pretend to be drinking etc) I told my dad, inlaws and friends here at 12 weeks but havent told my brothers as my s-i-l unfortunately had a miscarriage that same weekend. I therefore cant tell my irish friends yet either. I will tell them all in about 2 weeks. The waiting gets easier actually - you get used to it!
wombats Posts: 665
I agree with Swiss, the waiting does get easier, you just get used to keeping things quiet. We told our parents early on, then told no one until 10 weeks when we told a few friends. It's kinda nice to have it as just your little secret too!
july7812 Posts: 1787
I told my two nieces (whom I really close to but just also wanted to share with someone) at just 4 weeks - not going to tell anyone else including family & especially work until Im showing & cant hide it anymore - hopefully after 20 wks.