When did you tell your job?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Jessica Fletcher Posts: 120
Hi, just wondering how far along ye were when you told your job you were pregnant? I am 11 weeks on Monday and still havent told my family yet and probably wont for another few weeks. Since the moment I found out I was pregnant the thoughts of telling my boss has filled me with dread. There is another girl in the office pregnant and when she told the boss she was expecting she said "I hope this is your last"! The boss has also made a huge deal of how hard it is to find maternity cover and anyone suitable to fill the position (one would think it was brain surgery). I know its my first child and I should be delighted (I am) but the thoughts of telling the boss makes me sick. I have thoughts of hiding the pregnancy for 9 months and then having the baby in the toilet one day and saying "oops I didnt know I was pregnant". So when did you tell and was it difficult?
Flower Girl Posts: 1645
I told my boss this week (13 weeks), he was delighted for me. Now he knew I was going to be moving abroad early next year anyway, so it's only a few months in the difference, but regardless of the circumstances there's no excuse for any employer being snotty about it, and remarks like "I hope this is your last" are way out of order. (Sorry, I know there's no useful advice in there, but I'm enraged on your behalf...)
chocolatekissesld87 Posts: 349
Wait till after ur 12weeks and then maybe tell him at the end of the day your not leaving him high and dry your giving him plenty of notice to sort maternity cover and if you were to hand in two weeks notice tomorrow wouldnt that be worse your expecting your first baby it should be a happy and exciting time for you and you should enjoy it all and not have to be worrying about what your boss is going to say the hardest part is actually putting it out there but once its done and he knows thats it theres not alot he can do about it and u might be able to finally relax :)
Sophiessecret Posts: 68
I won't be telling my boss until I am very visibly showing, if at all. (Hoping to move on from there soon). I was tempted to a couple of weeks ago after I was attacked (very rare) in work and because I was so sick but glad now I didn't.
I am def not intending to tell until I start showing. But it seems no matter how much notice you give they still dont find someone until the last minute. When the time comes I might just go into the office on a Friday at 6 o clock!
OrangeWine Posts: 100
[quote="Jessica Fletcher":fmx47qos] I have thoughts of hiding the pregnancy for 9 months and then having the baby in the toilet one day and saying "oops I didnt know I was pregnant". So when did you tell and was it difficult?[/quote:fmx47qos] :o0 gas! I'm 12 weeks today, everyone but works knows coz I'm crap at holding stuff in. I havent told them as I thought leaving it a bit would make the time to ML leave seem shorter. I have my booking app on tue so will tell work on wed because I have a bit of a belly that's uncomfortable to hold in and i caught people looking :-8 I'll almost be 13 weeks, like the next day in fact! I dont want it to slip out or be asked so I'd rather tell on my terms. Your boss is an ass for saying that, so rude. If that's his attitude I'd wait until you are 100% comfortable and don't let him away with any smart remarks. But most of all don't worry about it, he'll get over it.
graceanne Posts: 631
I didn't tell work until I was nearly 22 weeks. Just didn't feel the urge. It was my little secret. Tell them when ur ready. X
I suppose I hope it wont be as bad as my last job. A girl went in to tell the boss she was pregnant and he said "dont you believe in birth control?". True story.
babyforus Posts: 1619
Good lord. Your current boss is female right though? You said she above? You'd think a woman might be a little more understanding or, at least, sensitive in their comments! My advice on how to tell your boss is to say you have some really great news (which it is) and then tell her.
[quote="babyforus":3a0cq5ku]Good lord. Your current boss is female right though? You said she above? You'd think a woman might be a little more understanding or, at least, sensitive in their comments! My advice on how to tell your boss is to say you have some really great news (which it is) and then tell her.[/quote:3a0cq5ku] Yes my boss is a she but dont think she really gives a hoot about family and is all about work. She doesnt have kids. Like the advice, I will try that one. My normal way is to usually make some sort of joke.