When did you tell your parents

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

msdf2b Posts: 64
just wondering when you told your parents etc. I just got my BFP, and know my parents will be suspicious if i dont have a few drinks over christmas. Plus I want to tell them christmas day, but its way too early isn't it. I'm so bad to keep a secret, I'm dying to tell them.
Mari yay Posts: 4045
Congrats on your good news!! I am just 7 weeks but I told my dad as soon as I found out at 4 weeks, and we also told DH's dad. Telling them was a personal choice we knew they'd be delighted so we shared our news. We still haven't told DH's mother as she is a bit of a cold fish and it's very hard to predict how she will react. It's a personal choice and different people do different things, so just do what you are comfortable with.
mamajen Posts: 2263
Congrats!! We told our parents as soon as we found out.
yippeeme Posts: 2139
We told straight away too but told them to keep it in the family!
Daisy Row Posts: 3650
I told both sets of parents at 13 weeks. I found out at 6 weeks and 4 weeks later my parents were going on a month long holiday. Had they not gone on holiday I would have told them much sooner (plus it was a surprise for us too and we wanted time to adjust!). Was nice having our little secret for a few weeks but I was bursting to tell them by the time they got home. Wouldn't dream of telling anyone before my own family which is why OH's family had to wait :-8 It really is a personal choice and down to you and OH. Personally if I was pregnant this time of year I would love to be able to break the news at Christmas when all the family is together!
starbar10 Posts: 991
We will have known for 10 weeks by the time we tell or parents. We wanted to tell them in person, around the same time and after 13 week period.So going to tell them over Christmas/New Year
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I was 12 and a half weeks when we told both sets of parents. I would have felt weird telling them before then and having to "untell" them if anything happened. It was also nice for hubs and me to be able to have our private time with our news. I've known people to tell everyone at only six weeks and its feels like they are pregnant forever! I'm now 16 and a half weeks and telling the last bunch of friends home from abroad tomorrow.
candypants Posts: 8575
[quote="Anne Cordelia Shirley":1r8xeb5h]I was 12 and a half weeks when we told both sets of parents. I would have felt weird telling them before then and [u:1r8xeb5h]having to "untell" them if anything happened.[/u:1r8xeb5h] It was also nice for hubs and me to be able to have our private time with our news. I've known people to tell everyone at only six weeks and its feels like they are pregnant forever! I'm now 16 and a half weeks and telling the last bunch of friends home from abroad tomorrow.[/quote:1r8xeb5h] Thank god nothing has happened. But if it did before you told them at 12 weeks, your parents, would you not tell them then if something had happened? I kinda never understood this :-8
Anne Boleyn Posts: 709
We loved having our time to enjoy our secret, & told DH's parents first (as they were going on holidays & we wouldn't see them again for months as we lived abroad at the time) when I was 11.5 weeks. Then we told my parents when I was just over 12. We didn't let them tell anyone though till I was 19 weeks as I wanted to wait till I'd signed a new work contract before I made the news public! I ended up in hospital at 24 weeks & was off work for a few weeks & loads of people didn't realise I was pg till I came back at 27 weeks as I popped in the meantime- I wasn't really into broadcasting it.
ontheway Posts: 432
We told both sets at 10 weeks.TBH I would have loved to tell my Mam before that but DH insisted if I got to tell my mam so did he and 30 weeks of her fussing was long enough and we see them a bit over xmas so she would have driven me demented. Then at 12 weeks I started telling close friends and a few people in work I wanted to know. Then at 16 weeks I told my 5th yr classes in school cos I knew I would be leaving them to someone else for leaving cert and everyone else in school, staff and students alike more or less knew by the end of the day. 4/5 days before xmas I told mam bout having a bad uti - I used to get them lots so there was no questions when I said I was on antibiotics. We went for a family meal on New years day and I let on I had a massive hangover and couldnt even look at a drink. All of this didnt stop my bro saying ah your pregnant and me having to deny it. The same fella got the biggest shock when we did announce. There is no right or wrong time to tell it really is a personal decison that you and DH have to be happy with.