When do ya get glucose testing done?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lush11 Posts: 2877
My next hospital appointment is in about 3 weeks and ive heard its around this time i get checked for gestational diabetes. Will they tell me beforehand or when i go for the appointment will they send me to be tested. Anyone know?
carlie2012 Posts: 127
I am in ballinasloe and everyone has to get it done, i had to book it myself. This will be my second time as had it done on DS. i had to fast from 12am the night before had to be in outpatients at 8.30am and i think it was 10.30 - 11am before i got out. i have mine booked for the 4th apr when i am 28weeks. I would follow up with the hospital as i think they like you to get done between 24 -28 weeks
newbie24 Posts: 530
Im in HS and I haven't had it done, didn't on my first either... i think it's only done if the consultant thinks you require it based on your samples and measurements... Either way, you'd be told about it in advance because you need to fast from the evening before.
juicytube2 Posts: 245
Im also in Holles st, and they essentially on give you a glucose challenge test cause of your size of bump or your BMI or if you have a history of diabetes in the family, the glucose challenge test is first and I didnt have to fast for that, I was given a sugary drink and told to wait and fast for a hour and then a blood test was taken and i rang the next day for the results, i think your number has to be under 8.3 and if it is then you do not have to go on for further glucose/diabetes tests. But thats holles st, as another poster said there some other hospitals who give it to everyone. But I was made aware that i needed one, otherwise i wouldnt have know anything about it. HTH :wv
Happymammy2010 Posts: 837
Hi I attended the Rotunda and they dont carry it out unless they have reason to beleive you may diabetes. HTH
MomToEmandJ Posts: 1977
i have to get a GTT done at 28 weeks due to baby measuring big, and having pre-eclampsia for second time. i got sent out an appt for it, didn't have done on DD
macsmissus Posts: 928
I got GTT done at 29 weeks as had excess fluid around baby and they wanted to check for gestational diabetes. I'm attending the Coombe.
Lucky Mrs Posts: 1167
I had it done when I was pregnant but only because there was a history of it in my family otherwise it wouldn't have been done I can't exactly remember but I might have been around the 6 month mark when I was tested I just thought they would test me & I could go but you have to drink a glucose drink then they take bloods or maybe it was the other way around can't really remember & you're not allowed eat or drink for 2 hours & then after 2 hours they take more bloods, give you tea & toast & then let you go home.
Dolliewollie Posts: 163
I think my doc said I would be getting it done around 20 weeks as it runs in my family. Will probably have to get it done a few times.
amberjack Posts: 1273
Hi Lush, If I recall, you're in The Rotunda and they only screen you if you are deemed to be at risk eg baby measuring big, family history, having it in your first pregnancy etc and it's usually done around 28 weeks. In saying that, my consultant decidided to send me off at 32+4 as junior was measuring big around the belly, but thankfully it can back clear. If you are concerned, you can request it, but tbh, it's not very pleasant.