When do you become from an area??!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

hipbaby Posts: 4530
Strange question but was out at the weekend and someone asked me where I was from so I explained that I was from Dublin but living in the midlands! Predictable next question of oh you must find it very quiet etc etc My friend said to me afterwords that as I have been out of Dublin for 15yrs I should just say I am from the Midlands so save me having to give my life story!! So when someone asks you where you are from what do you all say if you are living in a different county to where you grew up???
discounter Posts: 441
H2B is from Dublin but lived in Cavan between ages of 16 and 23 until he moved in with me. He still says he's from Dublin - I don't think he'd ever say he was from Cavan. I think it would be wherever you grew up? That's how I'd see it anyway!
newkid30 Posts: 2233
I guess the difference is between where do you live? as opposed to where you are from? I have lived slightly longer in Dublin than where I was born and schooled, Mayo. You can't change where you come from. I much prefer the city to the country, not a fan of countrylife at all, but I will always be from the West.
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
Well I lived in a part of Dublin until 23 and then we bought our house 7 years ago in a different part of Dublin. But I will always say Im from xx but I live in xx now!!
Swisschick Posts: 220
I always struggle a bit with this question! I lived in Ferbane, Offaly till I was six, we moved to Maynooth till I was eight and then Blessington till I was fourteen. Then we moved to Naas and I lived there till I was 21, and moved to Cork for three years. Then I lived in Dublin for four years and have lived in Switzerland for the past nine years (longer than anywhere else – ha!). When people ask where I’m from I just say Kildare. My parents now live in just outside Kilcullen so I say there if asked whereabouts in Kildare and explain that I went to school in Naas. I would NEVER say I was from Switzerland though!!!
fish12 Posts: 389
o
aston Posts: 4100
Always make a mess of this answer when I am asked where am I from.... I have started saying Cork though now. I was born in Cork, lived here until I was 7 then moved to Mayo and married my DH who is from Cork and am back down here about 8 years now so I am longer in Cork than in Mayo! It kinda depends who I am speaking to though!
Sweetmum Posts: 2146
i am from the west and always say thats where im from even though i havent lved there in 12 years!my accent gives me a way full stop! i was sayin to my BIL the othere day that i was goin home and he couldent get over why i say my parents house is home? i have a lovely home with my DH but also consider my parents home my home!
BusyDee Posts: 8527
:o0 I moved about 5 miles from where I grew up but I always say when someone asks "I live in xxxx but I'm originaly from xxxx :o0
hipbaby Posts: 4530
It is odd isn't it, its just most people in my circle say Dublin or Cork or wherever and I seem to be the only one having to give the big long spiel! Its just I know this is where i will be for the rest of my days (- unless Dh runs of with some bimbo!!!) as we built our house here and have our children now starting with schools etc so I think I might start saying it...and wait for the slagging from my friends!!!