When do you have to name your baby?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sybil Fawlty Posts: 1541
Was just thinking about this. Do you have to name your baby, officially, by the time it leaves hospital after being born? Or, if you're still undecided for a few days can you leave it until you make your decision... as in maybe a week or two after birth and you've already gone home? Anybody know?
Toni Baloney Posts: 544
Friends of mine recently waited til the baby was 2 weeks old to name her (she was well home by that stage).
Emomc Posts: 2069
You do it when you register the birth, which is normally in hospital or shortly after, but you can wait and do it anytime after the birth, within a reasonable time period. Registering your baby also kicks off payment of child benefit so ideally you should aim to do it within 2 weeks
Babystar Posts: 195
Friends of mine took at least a month because they couldn't decide!
classychick Posts: 145
We had a baby on the 3rd of April and only named him after 4 weeks....we just couldnt decide! Worst part was that we knew it was a boy since 16 week scan........only person that wanted a name was the PHN - she rang a few times to see if we had decided...she said you have up to 3 months before you have to register their name. So take your time...after all you cant change it and it stuck with them for ever.........
leopardess Posts: 906
as far as i know and someone can correct me if im wrong but you have to register the baby within 3 months of its birth. so i guess you have just under 3 months after baby is born
smurf77 Posts: 2216
unless you have your inlaws breathing down your neck, Baby as a name losts its appeal very quickly :o0 :o0 :o0
Sybil Fawlty Posts: 1541
Thanks guys for the info. I'm always surprised when I get a text to say "Matilda Jones born at 10am 7lbs 3oz Mother and baby doing well".... They always have the baby's name in the text. I'd imagine it'll take us a few days to decide when the time does come. Good to know we can do this.
Shannan Posts: 1334
I know somebody who was registered as baby or possibly child. They couldn't decide between 2 names, it was only when he was 12 and needed a passport that he picked the name he liked best himself :ooh that he was properly registered with a name. I'm not sure if they might have changed things now and I'm sure it would be discouraged anyway, but that story always makes my jaw drop.