When do you tell people?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

chicam Posts: 1169
delted
delgirl Posts: 1706
I was in the same boat as you. I live in England and was home during the Summer on vacation. I was only four weeks pregnant but I told my mum and hubby told his parents. I wanted to get a big hug and they are just not possible over the phone! I did opt not to tell sisters/brother and friends but next time round probably would. I ended up having a bleed at 11 weeks and was told I would miscarry (which I didn't - all is fine) but I rang my sisters then for support anyways. Personally I would tell those you are closest too but leave off on some for 12 weeks, only because time goes so slowly if too many know too early. Congrats.
chicam Posts: 1169
Sound advice, thanks. I live far away also, it might be "close" but not as close as dropping back every weekend to tell people! I will mull it over, thanks!
maybebabies Posts: 168
I'm reading a really good and funy pregnancy book at the moment and it says tell whoever you would rely on or want support from in the event that something went wrong. Thought this was a good way of looking at it. It did say don't tell the world yet though or it will be the worls longest pregnancy.
YumYum Posts: 482
If I were you, I would tell them when you get home. Congratulations on your pregnancy, exciting times :o)ll :o)ll
pluto Posts: 3893
I would definitely tell them if you feel you want to. I agree with the advice to tell people you are closest to, or those that you would turn to anyway if anything went wrong. We told our immediate families, and it was great having their support. Plus it added to the excitement for us. We didn't have to bottle it up! I couldn't imagine not telling my mum for 12 weeks - she probably would have guessed anyway though! Follow your gut - your family is your family and they'll be happy for you.
jarashow Posts: 3083
We told my PIL last week at only 4 weeks, as we won't see them again until the end of May and they would be very upset if we had known and didn't tell them face to face. Tell them if you want to !!
naughtybutnice Posts: 1858
It really is a matter of personal choice. It's fantastic news so I don't see a reason for bottling it up especially as you don't see them that often. they'll be delighted for you.as others have said wouldn't tell the world but nearest and dearest.
bridalnowmam Posts: 2202
I agree, it is definately a matter of choice I only found out yesterday about my pregnancy but I told my mam, my boss and my best friend Meeting my sis tonight and going to tell her I think that if something were to go wrong then I would want all the support I can get Couldnt keep my mouth shut for 12 wks, i am bursting to tell people already!!!!