When does it hit you?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

M Chereux Posts: 391
Hi girls, This is my first time posting here, myself and my hubby started TTC last month and was our first time officially trying, I got my BFP on Friday night I did three tests (two tesco and one clearblue digital) and showed I was 2-3 weeks gone, will go to the doctor next week to confirm. I was very shocked as I was preparing to be waiting a couple of months for a positive. we are very happy but I have to say it doesnt seem quite real yet, when does it hit you? is it when your belly changes or when you see your baby on the scan? I have had no side effects other than tender breasts so maybe because I dont have any sickness it doesnt seem very real yet? Am I on my own here? we are not planning on telling anyone until after the 12 week period.
Delphinium Posts: 3027
Congratulations M Chereux! Sounds very like our experience! It happened the same way for us. I really expected it to happen in our first month and my first reaction was shock and tears! I don't think the reality of it hit until I went for a scan at 9 weeks... and there was me crying again when I saw our little bean on screen for real. I found I did actually forget about it again once my symptoms lifted as weeks went on - breasts got less sore, nausea lifted and appetite improved again. So no, you're not alone there. I would wonder if I was imagining it until the next doctor appointment. The reality truly hit a second time after we announced our news at the 12 week mark. It makes it very real indeed when you start to share outside of you and DH!
M Chereux Posts: 391
thanks for replying, I suppose when we can talk about it more and we actually get a confirmation from the doc it may seem more real for me. Now I feel I should i should be taking a test every day just to make sure :o0 but the absence of my period is a give away too and Im like clockwork so I need to ease into it and look forward to the scan and telling people. prob dont want to get too carried away with myself in case something happens.
mrswifey Posts: 775
Hi M Chereux, first of all, congratulations! And also, I got my BFP last Wed, so am 4 weeks + 3 days today, and it certainly hasn't hit me yet! So you are not alone. We have been ttc for 1 year, with 2 early mcs so far, so definitely won't be telling people until I start getting a bump!! I took another test this morn just to reassure myself, everytime I look at it I kind of get a fright and can't believe it!
redroses Posts: 714
Congrats on your bfp! :o)ll :o)ll Hope you have a healthy 9 months ahead. I must say wheni got my bfp i was in shock cause i really didnt expect it that month as i'd given up hope, i had gone to the doc for tests as it wasnt happening two weeks before hand. It really hit me when ms kicked in but still didnt seem "real". I had my 12 week check at doc and he found heartbeat with doppler, i was bowled over and it def seemed real then. Congrats again :o)ll
BabasFor2012 Posts: 1594
Ha! I'm still sort of wondering that :o0 I reckon it won't really hit until we are handed our babs! Even the 5 scans we've had so far and hearing the heartbeats haven't made me able to quite believe it :-8
ciaraella Posts: 5323
First off congrats! I think it hits me at least once a day but still hasn't actually hit iykwim! Everytime something happens like the first scan (i did bawl at that, with excitement and with relief to see all was well), the first buying of clothes, telling parents and family, the first movement, hearing the heartbeat, i could go on and on. Even now me and DH could just be sitting around and one of us will turn to the other and say 'we're having a baby, like we're ACTUALLY having a baby and we're going to be PARENTS! I get a 'I can't believe this is actually happening' moment at least once a day so i don't think it'll be really real til i'm holding our baby! Enjoy it, the next few months are some of the most amazing in your life, at least they have been for me!
Sunshine on a rainy day Posts: 9
[quote="Bumpfor2011":2tzqgcl9]Ha! I'm still sort of wondering that :o0 I reckon it won't really hit until we are handed our babs! Even the 5 scans we've had so far and hearing the heartbeats haven't made me able to quite believe it :-8[/quote:2tzqgcl9] :o0 I am the same! I'm only about 7 weeks and I have already had two scans (because of bad cramping) and have another next week, and I STILL can't believe it! Every single night I ask hubby does he really think I'm pregnant, its like I am having a dream or something, I am still so surprised! Bumpfor2011 - You will believe it fairly quick when you have two beautiful babies!
Bejewelled Wife Posts: 2190
I'm 4wks3d and I got my BFP last Sunday week. Even with the extra test I did last Sat it still hasn't hit me. Once I get pass the stage of mc last time and start to feel some movement - I don't think it will hit me until then.
i want one Posts: 2893
i dont think it actually hit me until DD was born :o0 i had morning sickness for the whole 9 months. the first scan i went for i was expecting them to say it was all in my head. the second scan i went for i just felt relieved to be passed the 12 weeks mark. my bump didnt appear until about 26 or 28 weeks, and even full term it wasnt big and i could just look a bit fat if i had a hoody on so i had none of the strangers rubbing bump moments :o0 congratulations :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months. :o)ll :o)ll