When is a car seat not a car seat?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Tedsters Posts: 1688
When it is being used as a pram/pushchair. Ok probably gonna get shot down for this but I keep seeing tiny babies being pushed around in car seats on their travel systems in the shopping centres. Now am I the only person who listened to the advice given about these i.e. that they are not to be used for long periods of more than 2 hours a day cause they are bad for newborn back and windpipe or did I get this wrong?
Perci Posts: 3847
I agree Tedsters. I see the Maxi Cosi car seats on the prams all the time. My intention is to use the pram/buggy as a pram/buggy and the car seat as a car seat. However, I did order the car seat adpators for the pram chassis for instances where the baby might be fast asleep in the back of the car and I'm 'popping' into the shops to pick something up and then it's necessary to wake the baby to transfer hin inot the pram. I would be very conscious that the baby isn't in it for longer than necessary.
Moet for me Posts: 1841
I totally agree tedsters I can't understand why people do this the physio in the hospital was adamant that babies shouldn't be in them for prolonged periods if possible.
Sphynx Posts: 6795
I think I would use the Maxi Cosi that way for a quick trip down to the village here but not all day walking around a shopping centre. The strange thing is though that Mothercare told people at the info session that there is [b:1ezlm0ml]no [/b:1ezlm0ml]time limit on how long you can keep a baby in a Maxi Cosi but that goes against everything else I've seen and heard elsewhere about babies in car seats! I don't think it can be good to keep them in that position for too long. But then again if you're taking them out regularly for nappy changes/feeds, that still counts as a break
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
I thought there was one car seat that you could use all day? They said in Mothercare in jervis that there was one, but when I asked in Mothercare in Stephens Green she said there was one that they all had time limits. I plan on leaving the car seat in the car all the time and using the carrycot or a sling for around the shops. Babies never look comfortable in the car seats imo.
Cowslip Posts: 761
I took the advice about not leaving baby in the car seat quite seriously. I bought the maxi-cosi car seat, which doesn't even fit our pram, (M&P Pramette). I asked a couple of friends of mine and they said they found no problems moving baby from the car seat to the pram when in town etc...that baby never woke up. And I thought for going to the supermarket, a sling would be the handiest thing to use anyway, leaving my hands free to push a trolly. We were told that baby should be in its car seat for 1-2 hours a day total, and all the half hours add up popping places in the car. I was concerned about long journeys as I am a 3.5 hour drive from my parents. They said to take a break half way through and take baby out for a kick and that it was fine as a rare occurence..its if this was happening daily that it would be a problem. But I do see babies in town/shopping centres in their car seats all the time....and I wondered myself am I being over cautious... I'm more worried at the moment about dh's smoking. He doesn't smoke in the house but I read in 'What to expect..the first year' yesterday that babies of parents who only smoke outside still take in 70% more toxic fumes then a baby of none smoking parents....I had decided that dh was not to go near baby for half an hour after smoking but that rule will be hard to enforce especially if we have a screaming baby and I am at the end of my tether....ahhhhhhh O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| O:| and then you think of years ago, my Dad would have smoked in front of me all the time when I was a baby and I'm all right...maybe I am going over the top on this as well......
marla Posts: 191
The Jane matrix car seat folds out flat and can be used for alot longer than 2 hours. You can even put it lying flat into the car , for long journeys.
Moet for me Posts: 1841
[quote:2yoprmeq]The Jane matrix car seat folds out flat and can be used for alot longer than 2 hours. You can even put it lying flat into the car , for long journeys.[/quote:2yoprmeq] I don't think the OP is referring to this type of car seat though
marla Posts: 191
[quote:ppu3bdls]Posted: 12 Jul 2007 10:29 Post subject: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Quote: The Jane matrix car seat folds out flat and can be used for alot longer than 2 hours. You can even put it lying flat into the car , for long journeys. I don't think the OP is referring to this type of car seat though [/quote:ppu3bdls] I know that, but Rocket Queen asked if there was a car seat you could use all day.
mammybean Posts: 10364
you dont have a link for this do you? i would be interested for when we have to travel up north