When is first scan for private patients?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sandy Beach Posts: 94
Hi All, this is my second baby but first time going private. I've just heard that the first scan isn't until 12-14 weeks - seems late for a private patient? Anyone any experience of this - I am in Galway, under Prof M. As I was a public patient last time I organised 2 private scans before 12 weeks - tempted to do so again, but this time I'll still have the Prof's bill to pay as well.... Would love to hear when you got yours, and what is the norm? thanks, Sandy x
redwifey Posts: 2932
I think 12 weeks is the norm SB! I have one alright this Thursday when I will be just under the 8week mark but that's because of a previous mc. Normally though 12 weeks is the norm for the first one.
JLa Posts: 527
Hi SandyBeach - lucky you, getting Prof.M! I'm Galway private too and the first scan I was offered was 14 weeks so I asked for it to be pulled back, so I got one for 12 weeks. I think that is the norm. As it's my first I'm getting a private scan at 9 weeks, just for some peace of mind.
Sandy Beach Posts: 94
Thanks guys, I am thinking I'll organise a private scan for 9 weeks - am desperate to tell immediate family but would like the reassurance of a scan first. One thing is for sure - you definitely don't worry less or treat your second pregnancy more casually - it's just as frightening and amazing!
Happy22 Posts: 73
I got my first appointment (private in Holles Street) week 11 – is that very early?
lincoln Posts: 387
Had a scan at just over 8 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks. Another due Aug. 24th after 'big scan' at hospital. I'm not in Galway but going private. This is my first pregnancy and have had no scares, TG. Should you ring your consultant's secretary and say that you are a little concerned and would like an earlier scan? It seems crazy to be paying such high fees for private care and then paying for your own scan on top of this. It would literally take 5 mins for your consultant to scan you and I think that's why you're paying for private care.
Bright Flower Posts: 483
Mine was at 12 weeks in H*lles St.
ghostchild2 Posts: 6237
I'm public and got my first scan when we thought I was 11wks (turns out I was only 9wks) and I had had no scares either. Does it really matter if you are public or private or is it not just down to the various hospital policies????
milinda Posts: 785
[quote="ghostchild2":3ka1vwpp]I'm public and got my first scan when we thought I was 11wks (turns out I was only 9wks) and I had had no scares either. Does it really matter if you are public or private [b:3ka1vwpp]or is it not just down to the various hospital policies[/b:3ka1vwpp]????[/quote:3ka1vwpp] I think a lot of it is down to hospital policies myself. I'm going public (not in Galway) and had my first scan at 8 weeks due to a previous mc - I didn't have to request it or anything. Normally first scan in that hospital is between 12-14 weeks public or private.
Bright Flower Posts: 483
In H*lles St it does matter if you're public or private. For private patients its at your first visit with the consultant usually about 12 weeks. For public or semi-private its at 20-22 weeks, which is the anomoly scan (and this is usually the only scan you get). If you have any complications or previous history you may get one earlier.