Menu

When is too early to start solids?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lisa Posts: 1612
Just curious about this. hadnt intended to start my ds on solids til he was 5 months plus. My cousin whos dd is just 16 wks has started her on them since last week. Does this sound very early? Has anyone started this early? Would love to hear what people think is the best time to start?
delighted Posts: 258
My PHN told me definitely not to start solids until the baby is 17 weeks old
SaJa Posts: 4282
I started DS on solids at 14 weeks. Just a teaspoon of baby rice once a day for the first week and gradually increase it. I would hold off for another few weeks before you try anything. No need to put your LO on solids just because your cousin is doing it.
Pinkly Posts: 1414
Not before 17wks is the current guideline. Their little intestines are not fully finctional before then. I'd give extra formula before trying solids.
im waiting Posts: 2727
My dd was a hungry baby, she was on that aptimal brand for hungryer babies quite early. I started her on solids as Soon as she turned 4 months which I know is quite early but my doctor and PHN thought it was okay. I know my sister and sister in law waited until theirs were 6 months I actually know a couple who started their de on baby rice at about 2 months which I think is quite early, but each to their own
contented Posts: 2625
Definitely not before 17 weeks as another poster said because their digestive system is not fully developed yet. I was told to hold off as long as I could as the WHO is now recommending 6 months for solids. I do think that I'll probably start her around 20 weeks so I've another 6 weeks to go.
Maria1983 Posts: 390
I started my son on solids when he was 3 months old. He's been a happier and healthier baby since. He showed me signs that he was ready. I say observe your child. If he is ready, 3 months is not too early.
lisa Posts: 1612
thanks girls. As I thought it varies from person to person. Phn calling on thurs so will see what she thinks then. My ds was 6 weeks premature so think i will hold off for a bit longer.