When sending thank you cards...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

hagfromhell Posts: 2146
Quick question. This is something that happened about 2 years ago. We went to wedding. We had card with money in it but forgot to bring it on the day. Weeks went by and next thing it was about two months later and the thank you cards were out and we didn't get one. We ran over shame faced and gave them the card, so a few days later we got our Thank you card. Now I never thought about it since until lately when I was thinking of my own invites and thank you's. If someone doesn't give me a present do I not send them a Thank You Card? I would be very embarassed NOT to send them something to acknowledge them being there. Also if we don't get a gift, how do we word it on the card? Just thank them for being part of our day???
bridetobe2009 Posts: 1423
Maybe say something like thanks for being there on our special day. The last two weddings I went to the bride and groom didnt even bother sending thank you cards to anyone.I cant believe it, nearly 2 & 3 months on and no thank you cards.
micksmrs Posts: 931
I sent thank you cards to everyone. There were printed ones with Thank you for your generous gift and the best wishes you sent to us on the occasion of our marriage. Both the thougth and the gift were very much appreciated. On the other cards I left them blank and just hand wrote "Thank you for joining us on Wedding Date" We hope you enjoyed the day as much as we did. So everyone got a card and I dont have to worry about sending any more out. We did get a late wedding present though from a shame faced couple but to be honest we dont expect any more gifts even though there are more than a half dozen people who didnt give us a gift.
jen09 Posts: 1390
[quote="bridetobe2009"]Maybe say something like thanks for being there on our special day. [b:1d1du40u]The last two weddings I went to the bride and groom didnt even bother sending thank you cards to anyone.I cant believe it, nearly 2 & 3 months on and no thank you cards.[/[/b:1d1du40u]quote] I know what you mean - my aunt got married in Vegas in 2007 with just her & hubby & told no one but they had to make it official over here in 2008 because he'd no divorce when they went to Vegas; anyway, 2 wedding presents, 1 wedding day which consisted of clothes for me & h2b & DD, money for day, day off work as it was midweek & various other bits & pieces & both times no thank you card; On Sunday I was at a wedding fair & picked up samples of thank you cards & made the point about 3 times of how important it is to send thank you cards no matter how big or small present & they didn't even blink. Same when my aunt got married 3yrs ago, mega expense & no thank you card.
Missus Lippy Posts: 5879
We were lucky enough to get presents from all our guests and I sent the standard thank you's to them all but others on similar posts here have had a few thank you's made up with thanks for sharing our day or blanks, as has already been said. The issue of couples sending thank you's or not is a different thing. Personally, I always budgeted and knew I was sending thank you's but I have only ever received a thank you card from one wedding I was at. Okay, you could argue it's rude but I just believed the couple to be too busy or not that bothered about sending them. There was probably no malice intended or they are scatty or too lazy to sit down and write them or whatever.
icsi girl Posts: 264
I cant beleive two things I have read on this thread. 1. People would go to a wedding and not give a present! I think its very rude, it does not have to be expensive. Its the thought that counts. 2. People who do not send Thank You cards. I was at a good friends wedding in July and I am still waiting on the Thank You!
Ruby, I only sent out my Thank You cards at the beginning of January and my wedding was in August. The reason being I wanted a nice photo from the photographer of the two of us to put on the cards so maybe your friend has an idea for hers and just hasnt got it together yet. We also went to a wedding in May and the Thank You cards were not sent out until December so it does take time. While some guests didn't give us a gift to be honest that doesnt really bother me, they came and hopefully had a good day. I have been known to send a late gift to friends for their weddings also and sometimes it can slip your mind if you dont do it on the day or before the wedding.
Higgs particle Posts: 4557
[quote="micksmrs":2nbzlb1j]Ruby, I[b:2nbzlb1j] only sent out my Thank You cards at the beginning of January and my wedding was in August. The reason being I wanted a nice photo from the photographer of the two of us to [/b:2nbzlb1j]put on the cards so maybe your friend has an idea for hers and just hasnt got it together yet. We also went to a wedding in May and the Thank You cards were not sent out until December so it does take time. While some guests didn't give us a gift to be honest that doesnt really bother me, they came and hopefully had a good day. I have been known to send a late gift to friends for their weddings also and sometimes it can slip your mind if you dont do it on the day or before the wedding.[/quote:2nbzlb1j] I'm the same - I'll only be sending them out this week. 3 months isn't that long when you factor in a 4 week HM and then getting on photographer adn then normal stuff I was very sick and busy at work
oharetobe Posts: 367
I thought I'd add my 2 pence here too :o0 I'm in agreement with the above, I think it's rude not to go to a wedding and not bring a gift, it doesn't have to be massive, just something...I wouldnt' dare go even if it was an evening and not bring anything - but that's a personal opinion. *) I will only be sending Thank you cards to the people that give us a gift, reason being is, it's a personal touch from us not only for spending our day with us but in appreciation for what they have gotten us. I will be thanking people on the day for coming as well. The other side of this is, if I sent thank you's to people who didn't get us anything does it not make it look like we are trying to be nasty...now I know there was a bride above that sent to everyone but I'm not taking the risk. We have friends coming from overseas that I expect nothing from after the expense of coming here, so they will get a Thank you with a note inside in regards to travellign all the way for the wedding. I know the above makes me sound like a gift grabber but I don't mean it that way, just can't find any better words to write it down.
Oharetobe, it took me a long time to decide what to do regarding the people that didnt send us gifts, I still wanted to thank them for making the effort to come to the wedding (ours was a Friday so they would have had to take the day off work). Also, you hear so many horror stories about gifts going missing that I wanted to make sure that I did send a thank you to everyone to make sure that we hadn't left anyone out. ETA: I made sure to put in the cards to people who didnt give us gifts yet came to the wedding "Thank you for joining us on "wedding date", we hope you enjoyed the day as much as we did". I hope that none of my guests think that this was a nasty thing to do. I am not looking for late gifts just saying thanks for coming. Weddings are expensive for guests too when you add up hair, makeup, overnight stay in some cases, drinking money for the day and taxi home.