When should you go to hospital after your waters break?/

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

swissgirl Posts: 2301
Hi guys, Is there a recommended time to go to hospital after your waters break. I know you could go immediately but theyd more than likely send you home. Should you wait until contractions have started and are circa 6 mins apart? Just curious, thx sg
dovedro Posts: 1295
Hi Swissgirl We were told in our anti-natal classes that if your water break you've to go to the hospital straight away
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
I think if they break you ring the hospital to tell them and they'd advise you. You shouldn't waste to much time though because if baby isn't delivered a certain time after they have gone then babs will need antibiotics.
jellybaby Posts: 2316
When my waters broke, I rang the midwife, who asked a few questions (asked if there was any meconium, if I'd had a show yet, how much waters, etc), and she asked me to come in to be checked. I went in and was put on the monitor for 2 hours, after which time she told me things would probably start soon and gave me the choice of staying put, or going home. I opted to go home :o0 No sooner was I in the door at home, than the contractions started, and 5 hours later I was back at the hospital, 4cm dilated. Generally I think they prefer to check you out once your waters go - I've heard of women whose waters break and an hour later their baby is born, so they have to check just to be sure..... HTH
theoracle Posts: 7664
Normally straight away, just so that they can check how everything is, also they woudl normally not let you get past 24h after, even if labour does not sponteneaously start. My waters broke in the morning, went it, got checked out, got sent home and was back around midnight the same day (goen to labour), had DD 14 hours later (she was just too cosy and would not come out).
mjm Posts: 393
My sis had a baby on 2nd Jan and her waters broke at 5am, she felt no contractions so stayed at home, got up in the morning and had brekkie, still felt fine, she rang hospital at 9.30 and they told her to come in immediately and gave out to her for waiting so long, she didnt get any contractions but they induced her as they said you cant delay once waters are gone. mjm
swissgirl Posts: 2301
thanks guys. :thnk
TracyD Posts: 750
It depends on the hospital. In the Lourdes and Cavan the new policy is if your waters go and you're not having any contractions you can wait for 48 hours OR stay in (assuming you're full term). Most mums will be in labour within around 24 hours so assuming mum and baby are fine there's no need to start an induction before at least 24 hours have passed. Tracy
NewGirl Posts: 1143
My water broke at 5am on Friday morn 30thNov (babs due date) wasn't sure if it was my waters or not, felt the urge to go to loo & when I got out of bed I felt a trickle down my leg, thought I'd wet myself, it was blood stained though, expected it to be more of a gush. Rang the hospital straight away & they told me to come in in the morning but not to rush as I wasn't having any pains. Went in at 9am & they confirmed that my water had gone, did an internal & sent me home. They had booked me in for induction at 9am the following morning if I hadn't gone myself. said they wouldn't leave me more than 24hrs, Contractions started at about 1pm but didn't get strong until about 3am, went in at 8am & babs was born at 1.10pm 1st Dec, 32hrs from waters went.