When should you tell your employer?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

one of each Posts: 1277
Hi all, I just found out im 5 weeks pregnant when should i tell my employer and do you tell HR first or your boss? Thanks,
vanilla icecream Posts: 2125
milis Posts: 7998
It really depends on the risks to you in the workplace, and how well you are in your first trimester. I told my boss at 11 weeks. I wasn't late for work/absent because of sickness, so I didn't need to tell before that. I didn't want her to guess either, so I wanted to get in to her before I was showing.
MonkeySocks Posts: 1185
I told my work very early on, at about 5 weeks, mainly because I was very sick for the first couple of weeks and a lot of my work is spent in meetings, so they needed to know why I wasn't on the ball and running out in the middle of important discussions. I have also had to take quite a bit of time off and work from home a lot, but they have been great and very supportive. I think it is a very personal choice though!
miracle_baby Posts: 798
I work in HR and don't plan on saying anything just yet, I have done well so far by hidding my pregnancy. I'm sure no one suspects I am pregnant :o0 I will see how far I can hide it I have a feeling I will start showing properly by 4 months. My only concern is that sometimes the lift dosen't work and I work on the 3rd floor so its gonna be a stain going up thoes stairs.
Mumslove Posts: 528
Well if you had to by employment law rules, you don't have to tell them until 4 wks before you intend to go on maternity leave. But yes if your working in a place that is dangerous during pregnancy ie chemicals, lifting heavy equitment etc, you'd probably need to let them know but other than that you don't need to tell them. Just check out or even to find out for sure when you need to tell them By the way congradulations on your pregnancy, I hope everything goes well for you