When to book antenatal classes

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Rubee Posts: 483
I'm in my 11th week and was wondering when I should book these or are they scare mongor stories of birth etc I think I'd rather not know. Do mums to bre really need them?
mammybean Posts: 10364
I have been told by other mums that they were great in telling you about the breathing and other things and they are definately worth it. I dont think you will get scare mogor stories but you may get some yukky details. to be honest i would rather be prepared. i would also be interested in seeng when other people have booked them
charli Posts: 5994
i went on first pg so will not go this time to be honest i did not find them much good, but have to say perhaps that was specific to my hospital i dont know i didnt learn much that i hadnt already read up on i am sure other mums to be get something out of it but for me, not really you are entitled to time off work for them too btw
mrsatlast Posts: 71
Hi Mrs K, I just booked mine for Aug 18th & 19th, so will be 22 + weeks gone by then. But I have booked the hypnobirthing one, where they say the longer you have to get used to it & practice the better...
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
Mrsatlast, is it the one in North city hotel, in Aug im going to try and book that one. I will be 19 weeks, and like you said the earlier the better for hypnobirthing. Also when you do these they recommend you dont do your antenatel ones the hospital offer, cos they talk about pain too much!!!
Yeah NotLongToGo, that's the one! I actually mailed Tracy Donegan because I was looking to do it in Sept, but that one is in Cork... & she said Oct would be a bit late if you wanted to work on it etc. & it says on the doula website that it includes anything that would be in a normal ante-natal class as well, pain relief, birth plans etc. So I would defo not do another one. It sounds really good, lets hope it works... Seemingly they book up quite quickly so I'd do that asap.
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
Great ill get onto it today, we could end up being in the same class. Im so looking forward to them, have you read Tracy's book its very good.
I haven't actually. Was thinking of getting it but you get a load of material & CD's I think after the course so said I would wait till I get that & see what it is like. Might get it afterwards...
mumof2 Posts: 3864
[quote="Mrsatlast":36600ktl]Yeah NotLongToGo, that's the one! I actually mailed Tracy Donegan because I was looking to do it in Sept, but that one is in Cork... & she said Oct would be a bit late if you wanted to work on it etc. & it says on the doula website that it includes anything that would be in a normal ante-natal class as well, pain relief, birth plans etc. So I would defo not do another one. It sounds really good, lets hope it works... Seemingly they book up quite quickly so I'd do that asap.[/quote:36600ktl] Mrs at last do you have contact details for Tracy or is there a website I can go onto. Would be interested in the Cork class
yes septemberprincess I do! I mailed her at & she was very helpful! The website I got the email address from was & then I booked via Good luck