When to see heart beat on scan.

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

fizzy bubbles Posts: 339
Hi girls, Had a bleed on sunday, bright red. Nearly died.Thought red blood is a bad thing and game over. Went to the EPU in HS and had a scan. As it was not heavy, tmi one wipe and it was gone the doctor said is ok. Then is stopped. Doctor said he sees approx 10 - 15 girls a day with bleeding and majority turns out ok? They found the sac and I have to go in next week at 7w2d to see if they can see anything. When is earliest to see hb?
Mrs Mai Posts: 763
I think sometime it can be seeen at 6weeks but that's very early. I wanted as early as scan as possible on one of my pregnancies because I'd previously had a MC and needed reassuranc asap. I rang a private clinic and they said the earliest they do scans is 7 weeks because it could cause unnecessary worry if the heartbeat can't be found on an earlier one. Sorry so long winded. Hope you follow me. Sleepless night here. Good luck, I hope it all works out well for you.
Duffers Posts: 1841
As Mrs Mai said, for some it can be 6 weeks-ish and others its not seen until the 7 weeks (which is usually the norm). I waited til 8 weeks to be sure. For some, if dates are out by a day or two it can make all the difference in determining how far you're gone. If they do an internal scan, at that stage, you should hopefully see the heartbeat. Dont fret if you dont, are you sure of your dates?
lcarrick Posts: 1639
i had an early scan at 9 weeks, and we could clearly make out the heartbeat even though it was tiny!
Babyboomerang Posts: 543
I had a scan at 4w+3d and at 6w+3d. We only saw a sack the first time but saw the heartbeat the second time. I think that every day counts at that stage, so the Dr is probably right to err on the side of caution. Best of luck. It's a very good sign that you saw the sack and that the bleeding was a once off. Fingers crossed for your bean :heartbeat:
Daff Posts: 11644
best of luck :lvs Saw heartbeat on both at 7weeks. On DD it was an external but on this LO needed an internal to see it. Of course that had me in a complete panic but they are currently kicking the hell out of my bladder so are well and truly in there :o0
fizzy bubbles Posts: 339
Thanks for all your replies girls. Fingers crossed we see a hb at 7w2d :lvs
Its Me Posts: 1788
I saw the heartbeat at 5weeks 6 days but they would not call it a heartbeat as I was not the 6 weeks even though but myself and the sonographer pointed at the same thing. It was great tho that they didn't call it as I had to go back a week later for another scan and it was great peace of mind
MRS NYEB2007 Posts: 3275
Saw my LO heartbeat today, by my dates I am 7W+1 but by the scan I am 6W+5 - this is prob more accurate as AF ranges in days
tinyfeet Posts: 3482
I saw the hb @ 7 weeks on DS :wv