When to shop

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

*bubblez* Posts: 1599
HI Just wondering when did you all start shopping for baby bits? I know it too early now but I like to be organised and would like to start buying nappies and babygros with my weekly shop.. I would also like to know when I'm supposed to get pram cot etc but everyone keeps telling me not to buy anything til baby is here which doesn't make any sense at all surely I'm not goin to want to trawl around with leaky boobs and a bawling newborn looking for this stuff??? So what do I do when am I allowed to shop? I hate stupid superstitions O:|
luigi Posts: 867
Its personal choice really- I didnt want a houseful of baby stuff god forbid anything would go wrong, but I had everything by 35 weeks- thank goodness as my BP got high after that and Asda was as far as I could go! Also DS came at 39 weeks. We didnt have any equipment at home as im a bit superstitious about assembling a cot before baby but the shop delivered it by the time I was out of hosp. I began to stock up little by little after my 23 week anomaly scan and think I overdid the babywipes as I havent bought one since and he's 6 months this week! :-8 From 26 weeks I did all the maternity pads/ breast pads etc along with my weekly shop so when it was time to pack the bag everything was organised. Its really exiting isnt it!?
swissgirl Posts: 2301
Gosh, I dont know, I would have guessed the last trimester. I think there is a list maybe a sticky of things you should have before the birth. Something like: 6 baby gros moses basket/cot bottle sterilizer breast pump (if BF) but I do know you dont need that much in the very very beginning. Have you read shopaholic and baby? Very funny about purchasing baby clothes.
I don't really plan on getting anything not even baby wipes until i have my scan which is 20th of april so its ages away.. its not even a shopping thing I hate shopping but I like to be organised and I don't want to be bringing baby out into shopping centres when their only new... I plan on BF so won't be going anywhere til I'm comfortable doing that... Think I'll just start picking up bits after my scan and then get hubby to drop them to his friends house or somewhere I won't be looking at them all the time but I know its all there should I need it... I swear if one more person quote and old wives tale or superstition at me I will loaf them... so sick of hearing them
irish bride Posts: 558
Hiya, We picked stuff up as we went along, probably starting around middle of the second trimester. Basically i just kept an eye out for special offers etc to save money, also we found it easier to pick things up in bits and spread the cost. I am still picking wipes, nappies, cotton wool etc etc up every week, am a bit like Luigi and probably have a ridiculous amount now but in fairness you are going to use them up anyway so i don't mind so much! Loads of people gave me 'the talk' about jinxing myself and how you should not have baby stuff in the house before the baby arrives but I have no time for that sort of stuff. I had a scare at 28 weeks, babs nearly showed itself then, so we made a point at that stage of going and getting the furniture, buggy etc then as a just in case but i know we were early in comparison to a lot of other people. I personally don't see the point in waiting until the babs is born as surely at that stage you are way too busy worrying about the baby, and would be too tired, to even bother with the shopping for all the baby gear then. My nursery is all done in the small spare room and I just love going in and sitting in the rocking chair and thinking about what is to come (that is just me i know but i love it!!) xxx
bibikay Posts: 644
I don't have anytime for stupid superstitions at the best of times, never mind during pregnancies... does anyone REALLY believe that simply going out and getting prepared for a baby will precipitate losing the baby ?? All my friends/family would know better than to say something so daft in my presence, as I think it's absolutely awful to say something like this to a pregnant woman... can you imagine if she then went on to lose the baby, it would be planting the seeds of guilt in her mind, or at the very least she would feel that her friends and family were sitting there saying "See, we told her not to get that crib.. it's her own fault!" Also, I can't imagine being inside in hospital with a newborn, knowing that DH was running around the shops like a mad thing trying to get a crib/car seat/blankets/clothes etc etc sorted out for us coming home. Daft.... Anyway... I digress..... From about 30 weeks on we started buying stuff, or getting things from friends/family that we were borrowing. It was nice to see the baby room coming together then i.e. shelves full with little vests, babygros, etc. At the very least, you will need the car seat sorted out, as you will need it to bring the baby home from hospital. Never mind the "old wives tales"... if someone says something like this again, just say to them "Yeah, you're right .. I won't get the crib/carseat/clothes everything now... I assume I can count on you so to get all this stuff for me when I'm inside in the maternity with the new baby.. thanks a million" ... that should shut them up !
ah bibikay I love it... hubby would lose his life trying to buy everything while I was in hospital and I would like him there with me not out shopping TBH.. The first part of your post is exactly what I was thinking when I was hearing all this... some ppl just don't think before they speak and they're the ones who should be mussled
luigi Posts: 867
I think superstitious was probably the wrong word in my post, it was really the fact that should my baby have been in SCBU, or even worse the last thing I would have wanted to see when I got home was his cot, i didnt think buying the cot would be negative to pregnancy, it was the 'how would I feel? question' H2Bs brother assembled it for us before we got back from hospital so it was a nice surprise. Dont mean to put a downer on the thread, but that was how I felt about it- im a worrier. I know plenty of people who did the same as me, and on the other hand I know loads who had immaculate nurseries assembled beforehand and both approaches to baby-proofing the home work just fine :)
Elliecat Posts: 2725
[quote="bibikay":36f3p4hm]I don't have anytime for stupid superstitions at the best of times, never mind during pregnancies... does anyone REALLY believe that simply going out and getting prepared for a baby will precipitate losing the baby ?? All my friends/family would know better than to say something so daft in my presence, as I think it's absolutely awful to say something like this to a pregnant woman... can you imagine if she then went on to lose the baby, it would be planting the seeds of guilt in her mind, or at the very least she would feel that her friends and family were sitting there saying "See, we told her not to get that crib.. it's her own fault!" [/quote:36f3p4hm] That's not how I would take this, I would think its more about not having to deal with having lots of baby stuff in the house if, God forbid, something did go wrong. Not pregnant myself (yet), but my sis did it this way: She went and picked all the big furniture and cots/prams etc out long before the baby was born and put deposits down on them, then all her hubby or mum had to do was go in and pay off the rest and pick them up when she went into hospital. Now we live in a ruralish area and the shops were local, so I don't know if this would be appropriate for everyone, as you might not be able to 'put things by' in the bigger chain shops.
irish bride Posts: 558
Luigi I wasn’t getting at you at all hon, I promise. I totally understand if you view things as superstitious, I just meant that I didn’t see things in the same light. Honestly didn’t mean to offend you in any way, so sorry if it came across like that at all. :xxx