When to start buying?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mommylicious Posts: 836
Hi, Am 24 weeks preggers, and am DYING to start shopping for lo, but my oh is was to nervous to let anything baby related into the house! He's so superstitious. But I'm thinking I should be stocking up on things like nappies and wipes and practical things like that. And everyone says you can never have enough vests! :o0 So when can I start thats not "too soon"??
SandyClaws Posts: 3108
Ok I'm the wrong person to ask cos I bought baby clothes on hm in July and I'm only 10 weeks gone now!!! So I've been buying before I got preg... And I bought the baby monitor and thermometer at 6 weeks cos they were on great offer on amazon... Have the cradle in the attic from my sister, and want to paint the spare room in the next few weeks...
Daff Posts: 11644
On DD I bought my travel system at 6 weeks! From an early stage I had a full list of everything we needed, the specific ones I wanted and RRP. Had it in my handbag and while in shops if I saw something from my list on sale I'd buy it and mark it off. Got quiet a lot of things very early on cause of this. I just started including nappies, babygro's etc in the weekly shop to spread the cost. One thing I'd say though is to buy things with a warranty as late as possible. Most things like monitor, steriliser etc you get 12 months warranty on, so no point then having it sitting in a box for 3 months losing that warranty in case it's needed. On this LO though I'm much more cautious. I was at hospital appointment on Thursday and now I'm ready to shop! Although this time I've hardly anything to get :weep We did get our double buggy at weekend and I'm researching slings and pumps but will wait a little closer to the time to buy them. I'm also going to start stocking up on things now too each week like nappies, muslins, vests, babygros etc but will also wait til we find out the sex so I can go extra wild then :o0
marles Posts: 1397
We ordered the travel system a few weeks ago there was money off in the January sale,we won't collect it until April.Other than that the only thing we bought were a few baby grows and bits off the hipbaby website nothing huge. I agree with spreading the costs of things over the weeks,I personally wouldn't have been inclined to buy too much up until now and even now I'm not too keen on getting too much,just as a precaution,but I need a few bits in case I go early or anything like that!
candypants Posts: 8575
24 weeks sounds pretty safe enough to me. Id start with bibs, bibs, and more bibs :o0
Trafford Posts: 463
[quote="candypants":3msaq4yd]24 weeks sounds pretty safe enough to me. Id start with bibs, bibs, and more bibs :o0[/quote:3msaq4yd] Are bibs relevant for breastfed and bottle fed babies ? Sorry for the ignorance!
LastRolo Posts: 6892
[quote="Trafford":zebqspu3][quote="candypants":zebqspu3]24 weeks sounds pretty safe enough to me. Id start with bibs, bibs, and more bibs :o0[/quote:zebqspu3] Are bibs relevant for breastfed and bottle fed babies ? Sorry for the ignorance![/quote:zebqspu3] yeah!
ciaraella Posts: 5323
I was wondering about this kind of thing too, still early days for me but i suppose i'd be thinking of starting to buy things after about four/five months? Ikea seem to have really reasonable stuff, i was looking at cots and curtains etc on the website, has anyone tried any of their stuff?
Daff Posts: 11644
[quote="Trafford":2zem27yq][quote="candypants":2zem27yq]24 weeks sounds pretty safe enough to me. Id start with bibs, bibs, and more bibs :o0[/quote:2zem27yq] Are bibs relevant for breastfed and bottle fed babies ? Sorry for the ignorance![/quote:2zem27yq] Oh yeh, you can never have enough bibs! It's mainy for the spewing after and that's regardless of FF or BF. I thought I'd millions of bibs, then DD arrived and suddenly I needed two millions :o0 I still do!
ghostchild2 Posts: 6237
The nursery was completely done by 24 weeks :o0 :o0 :o0 We bought stuff as we saw it on sale, didn't see the point in waiting and then paying full price. Someone said about lots of bibs for me I found muslin squares brilliant and couldn't have enough of them.